- Government of Nova Scotia
- Halifax, Truro, Sydney
- $34.15 - $75.82 Hourly
- Lawyer - Public Sector
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy and we welcome applications from Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify, on your application form, cover letter, or on your resume.
The Legal Services Division of the Department of Justice is the Law office of the Government of Nova Scotia, and is responsible for providing legal representation and advice to all Departments, Agencies, Boards and Commissions (excluding prosecutions). In order to effectively provide this service, we maintain a roster of lawyers with experience in many different areas of law who may be interested in short-term casual employment in Halifax, Truro or Sydney and who can be called upon relatively quickly.
If you are interested in a casual opportunity with government and have experience in legal matters such as administrative law, employment law, contracts, regulations, child protection and/or litigation and have flexibility to accept a short-term assignment, please forward your resume as described below.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Providing legal advice and opinions on matters of law and legal policy to senior government officials for the effective and efficient representation of the Crown in the course of civil proceedings before trial and appeal courts, boards and tribunals
- Conducting research
- Preparation and review of legal documents
- Drafting and interpretation of legislation and regulations
The successful candidate must:
- Be a practicing member of the Nova Scotia Barristers Society in good standing (or eligible for practicing membership);
- Have a working knowledge of computer software programs, Internet and electronic mail.
This posting is a call for resumes to be considered for casual opportunities that arise within the Legal Services Division. Casual positions are filled from a roster of pre-screened candidates.
This competition will be open until April 30, 2019, and candidates may apply until that date. Resumes will be kept on file until the closing of the competition on April 30, 2019. At that time, candidates with a continued interest in casual positions will be asked to re-apply.
Pay Grade: MCL 15
Salary Range: $34.15 - $75.82 Hourly
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
All current employees who wish to be considered an internal candidate, please click here.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer
For questions or concerns, please contact Competitions@novascotia.ca
Similar searches: Lawyer - Public Sector