We are seeking an experienced senior lawyer who excels in negotiating and drafting complex business transactions and managing legal departments to join our company in the new role of Head Legal Counsel.
The successful candidate will report to the General Counsel and provide legal advice and services in support of the General Counsel and other members of leadership and management. This person should have extensive experience in negotiating and drafting complex commercial contracts as well as experience with creative drafting solutions for new types of business transactions in the evolving digital world. In particular, he/she will be required to negotiate and draft a variety of commercial contracts with emphasis on: intellectual property licensing agreements, joint venture and partnership agreements, media-related agreements such as content production and acquisition, advertising campaigns, mobile app development agreements, merchandising agreements, music distribution and record label services, professional services agreements, software and data license agreements, master services agreements, statements of work, acquisition agreements and employment contracts.
The person in this role will also assist strategic business personnel with structuring transactions, including joint ventures and financing transactions - both debt and equity; draft letters of intent, term sheets and long-form agreements; provide advice regarding legal aspects of proposed business transactions; create, revise and update the Company’s standard form contracts, and create playbooks for use of the standard forms and allowable variances.
In addition to transactional work, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing the Company’s legal department on a day-to-day basis, including supporting members of the department where and as needed (e.g. advising on specific transactions, or assisting with specific drafting issues), training and mentoring members and encouraging their professional growth, and managing personal and departmental workflows. This person must have exceptionally good leadership skills and have the ability to influence cross-functional teams towards a unified direction along with the business’s senior leadership and relevant stakeholders. He/she must also be a likable and relatable individual who is capable of building strong and long-lasting bonds with others and must be able to inspire trust and confidence in others.
- Provide legal support and advice to all internal teams, including, Leadership, Business Development, Ad Sales & Branded Entertainment, Professional Services, BBTV Interactive, eCommerce, Content Acquisition, R&D, Finance, HR and others
- Support and/or lead the negotiation of media and entertainment agreements related to BBTV’s strategic partnership opportunities. You will be responsible for drafting complex and specialized terms and conditions that balance BBTV’s risk and the needs of our unique client/partner base
- Draft and negotiate an array of commercial agreements such as letters of intent, term sheets, and long-form agreements
- Manage disputes combining your business acumen with your risk mitigation abilities
- Train internal stakeholders in order to improve their understanding of legal concepts to help prevent litigation
- Recruit, develop and manage BBTV's Legal team, including being responsible for the day-to-day management of the team including coaching, driving individual and team success, 1-on-1 meetings, reviewing performance, optimizing employee retention, inter-company communication and removing barriers to success
- Self-educate and educate the Legal team on business and legal strategies to improve the team’s productivity and build value in BBTV’s internal & external stakeholder relationships
- Maintain and model a positive and professional attitude, that cultivates healthy working relationships across all levels of the organization
- Oversee BBTV’s standard form contracts, and ensure right processes are in place to operate efficiently and successfully within the team and interact successfully with all business units
- Manage the Legal team’s work-flow, develop and implement collaborative strategies to manage productivity levels, and act as the department’s representative and advocate with other departments, where necessary
- LL.B. or J.D.
- You are a practicing member of the Bar of British Columbia
- You are a leader and autonomous. You have excellent legal and business acumen.
- You have the ability to work flexible, extended and/or irregular working hours in line with business demands
- Minimum of 15 years experience in contract negotiation and drafting as a solicitor
- Extensive experience in negotiating and drafting a majority of the types of contracts mentioned above in a fast-growing business
- Must be meticulous, business and results-oriented, a creative thinker, able to recognize and propose solutions to contract issues
- Ability to work with senior management, be collaborative, as well as manage a small legal team
- Has working knowledge of privacy, e-commerce, intellectual property, consumer protection, advertising, and marketing laws and regulations
- Has familiarity with AVOD, SVOD, video games, social media, mobile game apps and merchandising of consumer goods using brand names and trademarks
- Highly developed relationship building skills, as well as the ability to establish credibility and influence with stakeholders
- Must possess passion, energy, and enthusiasm to meet high standards
- Flexible and agile; ability to adapt quickly in a highly dynamic environment
At BBTV, our team is everything. We offer competitive compensation packages, rapid career advancement, flexible hours, and operate on a horizontal management structure that rewards creativity and values transparency. Our state-of-the-art open concept office is built to give you the perfect balance of work-and-play.
From the fully stocked games room, lounge spaces, movie theatre, and in-house automated barista, to healthy snacks, gym passes, and a culture committee (in charge of frequent outings and team-building events), we’re not your typical 9-5 gig.
Today, we are the third largest video property on the planet (behind only Google and Facebook) and have built the top video networks across all major verticals. So if you love collaborating, innovating, and pushing yourself to excellence, let’s talk!