Mastercard is looking for a corporate/commercial lawyer with an interest in regulatory law to be a member of a highly skilled legal team. The Manager Counsel, North America Markets (Canada) role will provide legal support to Mastercard’s Canada region.
• Structure, draft, and negotiate commercial agreements with Mastercard's Canada-based customers, such as financial institutions, merchants, other customers and third party partners.
• Participate in the product development process from concept stage to launch, issue-spotting, providing legal and regulatory advice and collaborating with legal and business subject matter experts, including regulatory law, marketing, privacy, IP, finance, sales and other stakeholder teams to guide the team in creating efficient product constructs and commercial agreements consistent with corporate strategy, internal policies and procedures and applicable laws and regulations.
Manage regulatory requirements, respond to regulatory complaints, queries and processes from the regulator, customers and third parties, and support the company’s regulatory strategy.
Provide on-going counsel on various business issues in addition to legal and regulatory issues affecting the region, which will at times require "quarterbacking" an issue, project or deal and getting involved in issues outside of the role's immediate expertise.
• Operate as a trusted advisor to the business clients on a daily basis with respect to wide-ranging issues.
• "Own" relationships with various business teams, helping to set and implement strategy for such teams and partner with colleagues across Law and Franchise Integrity.
All About You:
• Canadian Law Degree required (bilingual preferred)
• Proven experience working with complex legal transactions at a reputable law firm and/or as in-house counsel
• Strong drafting and negotiations skills with the ability to manage complex issues and deal structures
• Highly confident problem solver able to tackle unfamiliar situations
• Must be able to work independently and collaboratively and multi-task and prioritize effectively in a fast-paced team environment
• Must have strong communication skills with clients and colleagues
• Must be a team player working both within the Canada region and with US and global colleagues and willing to take on a variety of responsibilities and roles that support the team, department and the company
rts legal and regulatory review of new products and services
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.