- Willis Towers Watson
- Toronto or Montreal
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Provides legal advice and services on issues concerning the rights, obligations, and privileges of the organization. Represents the organization to customers, suppliers, competitors, and government agencies. Provides resolution of business or technical issues by identifying legal solutions and recommending a course of action. Examines legal data to determine advisability of defending or prosecuting lawsuits.
The successful candidate should be comfortable working with cross-functional internal business teams and external parties to handle a wide variety of corporate and commercial matters and provide ad hoc advice and counsel in a solutions-oriented, commercial-friendly way.
- JD/LL.B from a recognized law school and admission to the relevant Bar
- Minimum of 5 years relevant corporate and commercial experience in a fast-paced dynamic culture; prior in-house experience a plus; level is flexible based on experience
- Timely and effectively provide practical general corporate and commercial legal advice and services throughout the organization
- Negotiate numerous standard and complex corporate and commercial agreements ranging from nondisclosure agreements to a variety of complex consulting, insurance, software and other technology contracts while balancing appropriate legal and business risks
- Insurance industry or regulatory background a plus
- Work with cross functional teams (client development, sales, strategy, marketing, IT, HR, finance, etc.) to achieve business objectives
- Client service focus and the ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines and manage many projects in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and proactively and interact with all levels of management in a professional and positive manner
- Excellent analytic, legal drafting and oral and written communication skills
- French language capability preferred
Equal Opportunity Employer: Willis Towers Watson believes that effectively managing a diverse workforce is vital to our business strategy. We have an obligation to our organization, ourselves and our clients to hire and develop the best people we can find. We will continually review our policies and practices to ensure that all areas of the employment process (including recruiting, hiring, work assignments, compensation, benefits, promotions, transfers, company-sponsored development programs and overall workplace experience) are free from discriminatory practices. We are committed to equal employment opportunities at Willis Towers Watson.
Unsolicited Contact: Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our web site or to personal e-mail accounts of employees of Willis Towers Watson are considered property of Willis Towers Watson and are not subject to payment of agency fees. In order to be an authorized Recruitment Agency/Search Firm for Willis Towers Watson, any such agency must have an existing formal written agreement signed by an authorized Willis Towers Watson recruiter and an active working relationship with the organization. Resumes must be submitted according to our candidate submission process, which includes being actively engaged on the particular search. Likewise, for our authorized Recruitment Agencies/Search Firms, if the candidate submission process is not followed, no agency fees will be paid by Willis Towers Watson. Willis Towers Watson is an equal opportunity employer.