- Ivanhoé Cambridge
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Real Estate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional Degree - LL.B or B.C.L
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Ivanhoé Cambridge, a global real estate industry leader, invests in high-quality properties and real estate companies in select cities around the world. It does so prudently, with a long-term view to generate optimal, risk-adjusted returns. Founded in Quebec in 1953, Ivanhoé Cambridge has built a vertically integrated business across Canada. Internationally, the Company invests alongside key partners and major real estate funds that are leaders in their respective markets.
Through subsidiaries and partnerships, Ivanhoé Cambridge holds interests in nearly 800 buildings, primarily in the residential, office, retail and logistics real estate sectors. Ivanhoé Cambridge held approximately C$56 billion in assets as at December 31, 2016. The Company is a real estate subsidiary of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec ( cdpq.com), one of Canada's leading institutional fund managers. For more information : ivanhoecambridge.com .
Position type: Salaried
Reporting to the Vice President, Legal Affairs, Transactions in Montreal, the Legal Counsel, Legal affairs, will join the transactions team composed of 8 other attorneys dedicated almost exclusively to investments, disposals and financing operations for the company, worldwide. He will be working with other members of the Legal Affairs Department, which includes lawyers and paralegals. The primary responsibilities of the Legal Counsel, Legal Affairs will be:
- Performing day-to-day activities in a legal function encompassing a wide variety of general corporate, commercial matters and investment transactions;
- Reviewing, drafting and/or negotiating of corporate and commercial agreements (confidentiality agreements, Letters of Intent, Purchase and Sale Agreements, partnership agreements, asset and property management services agreements, various closing documents, financing agreements, co-owners’ agreements and others) to ensure the interests of Ivanhoé Cambridge are protected, providing feedback and advice to internal clients;
- Working closely with external counsel and the Investments business unit teams to provide practical and time-sensitive legal advice for the structuring, restructuring and closing of transactions related to real estate assets;
- Ensuring compliance with company’s internal policies and rules;
- Assisting with a variety of legal issues as they arise and providing advice and counsel to the Investments teams;
- Is to enable informed business decisions, ensure legal requirements and matters of compliance are met and facilitate the accomplishment of Ivanhoé Cambridge’s business goals and objectives.
- Be licensed and in good standing as a member of the Barreau du Québec; being a member of the Law Society of any other jurisdiction is an asset;
- Between four (4) and seven (7) years of experience practicing in corporate and commercial law, specifically with large scale real estate transactions and mergers and acquisitions;
- Familiarity and knowledge of transactional legal matters related to the investment and/or the commercial real estate industry;
- Experience in taxation and international transactional law is an asset;
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken French and English;
- Availability to travel abroad as required.
If you are interested in this challenge, please submit your resume.
You have everything to gain!
When you join the Ivanhoé Cambridge team, you are eligible for employment benefits and a pension plan that are among the best in the industry. Our many health and wellness programs encourage you to balance your work and personal lives and fulfil your desire for social involvement, while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. At Ivanhoé Cambridge, you will have many opportunities to develop your skills and thrive professionally, in Canada or elsewhere in the world. Our initiatives aimed at creating an exceptional working environment that inspires our employees to give the best of themselves elevated Ivanhoé Cambridge into the ranks of Canada’s 50 Best Employers, 100 Top Employers and 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures.