Legal Counsel, International Real Estate
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Commercial Real Estate Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia, QuadReal Property Group is a Canadian real estate investment, development and management company operating on a global scale.
The company’s $24.5 billion portfolio spans 23 Global Cities across 17 countries. Owned by British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (BCI), formerly bcIMC, one of Canada’s largest institutional investors, QuadReal was established to manage its real estate investment portfolio.
ROLE AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Vice President – International Real Estate, you will work closely with QuadReal’s International Real Estate team on acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures and ongoing maintenance of an important and rapidly growing portfolio of international real estate assets. In this role, you will primarily perform the following functions:
- Provide legal direction and advice with respect to the purchase and sale of real estate assets in international jurisdictions, including review and negotiation of legal documentation such as term sheets, agreements of purchase and sale, subscription agreements, partnership and joint venture agreements, development and asset management agreements, management agreements, construction agreements, financing agreements, non-disclosure agreements, purchase or sale right or option agreements and due diligence oversight.
- Together with the International Real Estate team, maintain ongoing oversight of relationships with external legal counsel and in-house counsel for QuadReal’s partners and peers in international real estate investments, including assuring governance, reporting, sustainability and risk management standards are implemented and complied with.
- Direct and oversee Canadian and foreign legal counsel on all aspects of international real estate investments, including corporate structuring, insurance, environmental and tax matters.
- Identify legal and regulatory risks, work closely with others to appropriately accept or mitigate those risks within QuadReal’s strategies.
- Develop and maintain standard practices, legal documentation precedents, policies and best practices for managing real estate investments in international jurisdictions.
- Play an oversight role to assure compliance with laws applicable to the international real estate investments and QuadReal’s policies and guidelines.
- Provide training and educational seminars to the International Real Estate team and, as applicable, other parts of QuadReal’s business.
- Provide advice on and manage disputes and litigation pertaining to international real estate investments.
- Establish legal budgets and approve legal invoices in connection with the activities of the International Real Estate portfolio.
- Provide legal advice in respect of various legal issues that may arise from the international real estate investments portfolio, and such other matters pertaining to any aspect of QuadReal’s business and governance as may be directed from time to time.
- Opportunities to travel to work at QuadReal’s London and Hong Kong offices.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
Required level of education, qualification and job-related of experience:
- Law degree (LLB or JD) and called to the bar in British Columbia (or qualified to be called).
- Minimum of four years of relevant experience.
- Considerable experience with most of the following: corporate transactions, due diligence, negotiations and creating win-win scenarios, real estate transactions and investments, pension or private equity investments, joint ventures, and real estate development.
- Collaborative, proactive and hard-working team player who welcomes rolling up his/her sleeves and is creative and solution-oriented.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and negotiating skills, business judgment, as well as strategic legal and critical thinking.
- Exceptional ability to distill and concisely communicate complex legal issues, make clear and strongly supported recommendations and decisions, whether orally or in writing.
- Enjoy working on multiple projects concurrently with tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently while keeping senior members of the International Real Estate team informed of all material developments and decisions.
C. DECISION MAKING ACCOUNTABILITY
- Assist the International Real Estate team with making business and legal decisions in international real estate transactions and investments.
- Make decisions on legal matters related to the ongoing ownership and management of international real estate investments.
- Influential role in business decisions through guidance, recommendations and risk analysis regarding legal and related matters.
- Instruct external legal counsel and approve invoices.
QuadReal Property Group will provide reasonable accommodation at any time throughout the hiring process for applicants with disabilities or for those needing job postings in an alternate format. If you require accommodation, please advise the Talent Acquisition team member you are working with and include the following: Job posting #, your name and your preferred method of contact.