YM Inc. was founded on the strength of a single retail store in the heart of downtown Toronto in 1975, under the name Stitches. Today we are one of North America’s leading apparel retailers operating over 600 stores across Canada and the United States under the following banners: Stitches, Urban Planet, Urban Behavior, Sirens, Siblings, Urban Kids, Suzy Shier, Bluenotes, West 49, Mandee, Annie Sez and Afaze.
The Law Clerk / Paralegal is responsible for performing legal and clerical duties, primarily in the areas of real estate, insurance, intellectual property and general corporate and commercial law. This includes all aspects of commercial leasing, assisting with the preparation of legal documents and correspondence, maintaining status reports and tracking the progress of various matters. This role will deal with daily correspondence, processing of agreements, forms and reports and execution of other general duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain files to ensure that information is current and up to date
- Review/prepare all aspects of commercial leasing including due diligence, drafting consent agreements, leases, lease amending agreements, and other ancillary documentation;
- Review business term sheets and identify appropriate precedent documents and clauses
- Review first draft of legal documents, including leases and related agreements
- Prepare subsequent drafts of documents based upon instructions from General Counsel
- Conduct lease reviews on a regular basis
- Manage sublease content matters and assignments
- Prepare and maintain regular reports relating to the status of lease and other negotiations
- Maintain a diary and filing system to ensure appropriate follow up and retrieval of documentation
- Enter and maintain information in legal document status report
- Compose, type, distribute and file correspondence pertaining to documentation
- Update and maintain precedent files
- Enter finalized documents into internal databases
- Respond to questions about document status or content
- Professionally communicate with other departments and clients on a regular basis
- Collaborate with Legal, Real Estate, Insurance and Finance teams to ensure proper reporting, up to date files, etc.
- Perform administrative duties, including typing, distributing/delivering correspondence, photocopying, faxing, organizing and maintaining files and answering phones
- Assist with all other legal and administrative duties while coordinating and assisting General Counsel with assigned matters
- Post-Secondary education in a law clerk or paralegal program
- 3-5 years’ working experience Commercial Leasing or a related field
- Superior knowledge of Microsoft Office, including working with “blacklined” documents
- Prior exposure to Commercial Leasing a must
- Exceptional administrative, time management and organizational skills
- Sound judgment and excellent analytical thinking, planning, prioritization and execution skills
- Proven business acumen and negotiation skills
- Professional demeanor with excellent communication skills both written and verbally
- Tactful and discreet; ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Highly motivated and detailed orientated
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
YM Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest: However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If chosen to participate in the selection process, accommodations are available upon request. We will consult with the applicant to provide or arrange suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.