Associate General Counsel
- DMC Mining Services
- Vaughan, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Construction Law, Mining Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
DMC Mining Services is a leading provider of mining services and solutions and one of North America’s premier underground contractors for over 38 years. Our comprehensive list of mining services ranges from shaft sinking and raise boring, to full mine development and operation.
With one of the lowest incident / accident frequency rates in the industry, DMC has been called upon by many leading mining companies to fill critical roles in their success. Our focus is on applying the expertise of our employees to attractive projects while pledging to deliver leading technology and an overriding commitment to safe practices.
Our core values: Zero Harm, Teamwork, Results Driven, Courage and Accountability.
DMC is currently looking for an Associate General Counsel, to be based out of our Head Office in Vaughan. The Associate General Counsel will be a highly qualified individual who works under the direction of our General Counsel to oversee the legal aspects of our business. Working with the General Counsel, you will help assist various DMC departments with legal questions and documents. You will ensure that DMC policies conform to relevant legal standards and you will be called upon to review contracts before they are executed.
Key accountabilities Include but are not limited to:
1. Provide general corporate legal services and counsel to DMC executives in a variety of legal topics, under the direction of the General Counsel.
2. Review contracts and license renewals.
3. Coordinate with outside counsel in Canada and other countries.
4. Provide legal advice and support to the General Counsel, including research.
5. Assist with oversight of litigation matters.
6. Draft, review and negotiate agreements, contracts and policies.
7. Maintain corporate records.
• A law degree (LLB or JD), from an accredited Canadian university or equivalent.
• Member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada.
• 8+ years’ experience, with at least 2 years’ prior experience working in a corporate or similar environment preferred.
• An undergraduate degree in business, finance, accounting or related advanced degree would be an asset.
• Experience with construction law and mining industry preferred.
• Proficient in legal research.
• Excellent facilitation and mediation skills, with the ability to use these skills to develop solutions that ethically, tactfully and diplomatically respond to the needs of the organization.
• Sound judgment and discretion when dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
• Ability to swiftly prioritize matters and to manage multiple, competing short and long-term projects.
• Excellent communication skills: listening, written and verbal, and the ability to adjust communication style to specific audiences.
• Exceptional ability to draft accurate, complete and persuasive legal documents such as position statements, legal briefs and correspondence.
• Strong administrative, organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to work with a variety of software tools including spreadsheets, databases, document management tools, and internet/legal search engines.
• Some travel may be required.
*The description is for the purpose of information only, and reflects the general duties considered to describe the principal functions of the job and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job. It is understood that the terms or conditions of the job are subject to change as may be deemed necessary by the Company to maintain a safe and efficient operation.
As part of our commitment to ensuring our employment practices are fair, accessible, and inclusive of persons with disabilities, please note that accommodations are available, upon request, throughout the recruitment and assessment process for any applicants with disabilities.”
DMC Mining Services is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all candidates for applying, however only the candidates selected will be contacted.