The Associate General Counsel & Corporate Secretary will play a key role in assisting the General Counsel on the execution of the legal strategy of Element Fleet Management. S/he will also take on the role as Corporate Secretary where s/he will ensure the integrity of the governance framework, ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and implement decisions made by the Board of Directors.
The AGC will act as the subject matter expert on matters concerning securitization and structured finance, providing counsel on financing and corporate matters involving credit agreement analysis and restructuring, corporate finance, and public company disclosures. Moreover, the AGC will act as a true generalist, playing a pivotal role on a broad range of legal and regulatory matters from strategy through to full execution.
With Element Fleet Management’s ongoing transformation, the AGC will play an instrumental role in elevating the legal function to align and partner with the business to achieve key transformation milestones to collectively achieve Element Fleet’s strategic objectives. The AGC will employ a true business-minded approach, proactively making oneself an active contributor and taking on a value-added approach to the organization.
- Will act as the Corporate Secretary. S/he will ensure the integrity of the governance framework, ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and implement decisions made by the Board of Directors.
- Will be a key legal leader on securitization, credit agreement analysis, corporate securities and restructuring.
- Public company corporate governance and reporting, including identifying emerging governance issues and developing potential response strategies; assisting the General Counsel in advising the executive management and the Element Fleet Board of Directors in respect thereof.
- Anticipate, identify and evaluate legal issues and risks relating to corporate activities and strategies; assisting the General Counsel on the evaluation and implementation of strategic projects.
- Reviewing, drafting, and implementing firm-wide, as well as department-specific, policies and procedures.
Experience & Expertise:
- Law degree from a well-respected law school.
- A minimum of six years of experience with a leading Canadian Law firm or relevant in-house counsel positions.
- Expertise in securitization and structured finance.
- Deep knowledge of and experience with a broad range of legal matters, including substantial experience Canadian corporate and securities law, public company reporting, and corporate governance matters.
- Demonstrated ability to assess risk and provide commercially sound advice in the context of a business environment; ability to quickly understand business goals and develop pragmatic solutions.
- Sharp, business-savvy individual with strong analytical and process skills.
- Proven ability to organize and run a project.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Communicates with clarity, conviction and confidence across all levels; also listens well and incorporates views where appropriate.
- Strong results orientation and prioritization to drive results for the enterprise.
- Executive presence and well-developed presentation, communication and relationship-building skills.
All offers of employment are conditioned upon completion, to Element’s satisfaction, of a background investigation that will include, but is not limited to, a criminal record check, credit check and verification of highest level of education completed and prior employment & references (unless prohibited by law).
Element Fleet Management provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by applicable federal or local laws. It also is Element ’s policy to comply with all applicable local and federal laws regarding consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions. Element provides accommodation to allow an applicant to participate in the hiring process. If you require accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process please contact Wendy Dinnoo, Human Resources Business Partner, 905-366-1366, WDinnoo@elementcorp.com, if so requested. When completing this application, you may exclude information that would disclose or otherwise reference your race, color, ancestry, creed, place of origin, ethnic origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other status protected by the applicable federal and/or provincial law.