Senior Associate, Legal
- Brookfield Renewable
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Securities Law, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Brookfield is a global alternative asset manager with $285 billion in assets under management. We have over a 100-year history of owning and operating assets with a focus on property, renewable energy, infrastructure and private equity. Our assets are held through a growing portfolio of private funds and public, listed entities. We are proud of our track record for achieving strong risk-adjusted returns for our clients, partners and shareholders across all market conditions. Brookfield is publicly listed on the NYSE and TSX.
The Brookfield Renewable Group is one of Brookfield Asset Management’s primary operating platforms. This position presents an opportunity to participate in a growth oriented global company and to gain exposure to the renewable power industry. It manages over $40 billion of assets globally owned through its unlisted infrastructure fund and listed investment vehicles including Brookfield Renewable Partners LP (TSE: BEP.UN) and Terraform Power, Inc. (Nasdaq TERP). Our portfolio consists of over 16,000 MW of power generation capacity across multiple technologies including hydro, wind, solar, storage and distributed generation with a presence in over 14 countries across North America, South America, Europe and Asia.
Reporting into and working directly with the Vice-President, Legal of Brookfield Renewable, the Senior Associate, Legal will have the following key areas of focus: (i) corporate law matters; (ii) securities law matters; (iii) M&A initiatives; and (iv) providing legal advice on a wide range of legal, business and corporate issues affecting the organization. It is anticipated that the
Senior Associate, Legal will also work directly with the General Counsel of Brookfield Renewable and the other members of Brookfield Renewable’s legal team, including lawyers and law clerks, as well as investment, tax and capital markets professionals.
The Senior Associate, Legal will be expected to maintain good standing as a practicing lawyer with the Law Society of Ontario or another jurisdiction of Canada or the United States.
- Responsibility for preparing meeting agendas and coordinating materials for Brookfield Renewable Partners LP (BEP) Board meetings, including preparing certain materials for the Board;
- Work directly with the General Counsel in overseeing corporate governance matters generally for BEP;
- Develop and update general corporate policies for BEP;
- Manage the execution of debt and equity securities offerings and other securities-based transactions, including normal course issuer bids;
- Oversee corporate disclosures from a legal perspective, including BEP press releases and securities filings;
- Responsible for managing all of BEP’s stock exchange compliance on the TSX and NYSE and ensuring that BEP meets its listing exchange requirements;
- Review and approval from a legal perspective of contractual agreements within the BEP corporate group, such as non-disclosure agreements, consulting contracts, credit facilities and trading agreements;
- Supporting investment initiatives (including, among others, acquisitions and divestitures), including through the retention and direction of external counsel;
- Responsibility for corporate organizational and structuring matters, including flows of funds and record keeping.
- Be called to the Bar in Ontario or equivalent in another Canadian or United States jurisdiction;
- Have 4 to 6 years of experience as a lawyer with securities law, corporate or M&A matters, preferably at a major Toronto or international law firm and/or at a large multinational corporation;
- High achiever that thrives in a dynamic and demanding environment;
- Demonstrated ability to provide practical, business-oriented legal advice and recommendations;
- Strong communication skills; ability to present clear and practical legal arguments;
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, global environment and adapt quickly to changing priorities;
- Self-motivated and proactive; eager to take ownership and able to advance work independently;
- Team-oriented; demonstrates a commitment to shared success;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop collaborative relationships at all levels in the organization;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills combined with attention to detail and thoroughness;
- Excellent organizational skills to effectively manage priorities while meeting timelines;
- This role will require some travel, from time to time, dependent upon project/transaction dynamics.
We provide a competitive compensation package and benefits plan in addition to offering challenging career development opportunities. This position would be suitable for those candidates who meet the role qualifications and who thrive in a performance-driven environment that emphasizes employee leadership and accountability for delivering results.