Senior Legal Assistant
- Legal Assistant
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Canadian Bank Note Company, Limited (“CBN”) has an opening for a Senior Legal Assistant within its Legal Department. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with a legal background to work at the administrative heart of a fast-paced, growing multinational company that designs, builds and supports secure solutions for currency, border security, identification, excise and lottery operations here in Canada and for countries around the world.
Located in the heart of Westboro (close to the transitway/LRT), CBN offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package including a defined contribution pension plan with employer matching, health and dental benefits, travel insurance for employees and families and free onsite parking. Oh, and we also have a great cafeteria! But perhaps most importantly, we offer a respectful work environment that is built upon CBN’s Seven Core Principles of Reason, Integrity, Honesty, Independence, Justice, Productivity and Pride.
As a Senior Legal Assistant, you’ll be tasked with supporting the Vice-President Corporate Affairs, Legal Counsel, and other senior executives while managing an important repository of documents in an environment where there is never a dull moment. You’ll be exposed to a tremendous variety of work and as such be afforded a great many opportunities to expand your legal knowledge and understanding.
To be effective in the role will require outstanding organization and prioritization skills as demands are often subject to change and deadlines are tight. Accuracy and attention to detail are extremely important. You will also need to have top-notch interpersonal skills and possess strong written communication skills as you will find yourself not only sitting in on and taking meeting minutes, but also crafting correspondence (emails, letters, etc.) to lawyers, banks and government officials. You will be driven but considered supportive of your colleagues and easily able to work in a team.
The successful candidate will:
- Assist with the upkeep of corporate records including updating corporate minute books and corporate registrations in jurisdictions where CBN and its subsidiaries are registered.
- Assist with keeping CBN’s patent files/database up-to-date which includes working with CBN’s R&D Group and monitoring existing and pending patents to ensure that all maintenance and annuity fees are paid on time; liaising with inside/outside patent lawyers as required.
- Assist with keeping CBN’s official contract database up-to-date including creating new record entries and attaching contracts to the appropriate file in the Legal database.
- Work with the Finance Department to maintain CBN’s banking capabilities which includes opening bank accounts for CBN and its subsidiaries and providing our banking partners with the required information to maintain an up-to-date record of authorized signors.
- Support CBN business units by registering CBN and its subsidiaries on government procurement websites, and then assist with keeping an up-to-date list of login and access codes to be used by the respective business units to access procurement information.
- Assist in completing insurance renewal forms for various corporate insurance policies and set ticklers to ensure policies are renewed in a timely manner.
- Monitor outside legal counsel invoices to ensure that they are approved by the Vice-President Corporate Affairs and payment requests are sent to Finance and paid in a timely manner.
- Be a member of a close-knit team that is heavily relied on by CBN’s various business units to manage risk and proactively ensure legal compliance in many jurisdictions.
Our ideal candidate has 7+ years of legal background (corporate) and extensive administrative experience. She/he will be discrete, professional, and comfortable interacting with executives on a daily basis. The candidate must be able to keep confidences, and personal integrity is a requirement. Fluency and excellent writing skills in English is essential. The ability to communicate in French and/or Spanish would be considered an asset. Familiarity with Microsoft Word and good keyboarding skills are important.
- Perform general administrative duties such as booking travel for the Legal Department and senior executives; preparing expense report filings; coordinating conference calls and meetings; directing telephone inquiries and greeting guests.
Eligibility for Government of Canada Secret (Level II) clearance is mandatory due to the type of work CBN does for the Government of Canada.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, CBN is committed to achieving a skilled and diversified workforce that reflects the diversity of the Canadian population. We encourage applications from women, visible minorities, people with disabilities and Aboriginal people. CBN is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted regarding this competition, please advise the interview coordinator of any accommodation measures you may require.