Powertech Labs Inc, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia and has 200+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Sector Legal, Purchasing & IT City Surrey Province British Columbia [BC] Title Paralegal Job ID PL2018.51 Position Overview
This position is required to provide practical, business-oriented support and advice as part of Powertech’s legal and procurement team. As an integral part of this team, you will work with Powertech’s in-house lawyer providing support and advice on various commercial matters and procurement activities, with a heavy emphasis on contractual matters (commercial terms, non-disclosure agreements, software license agreements, MOUs, product sales agreements, services agreements, competitive calls (e.g.: calls for tender), etc.). Given Powertech’s size, legal support is supplied through a single in-house lawyer. Its procurement group is made up of two individuals. Consequently, the range of issues dealt with by both groups range from the routine to the complex. In addition to the sorts of commercial issues identified above the paralegal will likely be required to address matters related to cross border issues (import, export, and immigration), intellectual property, privacy, employment, dispute resolution, corporate governance, etc.
- supporting the General Counsel by interpreting contracts, preparing agreements, conducting legal research, and providing support on larger agreements;
- supporting the procurement group in preparation and review of documents needed to source materials, services and equipment as well as related contracts;
- providing negotiations and interpretation support for commercial agreements of various types;
- understanding inter-relationship between commercial arrangements/obligations and business impacts in terms of finance, risk management, insurance, human resources and corporate objectives in general;
- working with internal clients directly on understanding project needs and identifying associated legal issues;
- ensuring contract management systems and processes are fit for purposes, and managing these systems and processes over time;
- assisting the General Counsel in managing workflow and priorities.
- A recognized Paralegal Certificate, or other equivalent experience and qualification
- At least five years of experience, either in-house or with a law firm in a paralegal role
- Strong experience in commercial contract drafting and public procurement matters and be comfortable drafting non-standard form contracts
- Solution-oriented and able to work well within a team, as well as independently
- Proven organizational skills with attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent teamwork skills along with the ability to quickly grasp new technologies and adapt to clients changing needs
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, with excellent attention to detail
- Strong MS Office skills
Job Status Full Time Regular Competition Close Date 11/27/2018 Affiliation M&P Compensation & Benefits Overview
Similar searches: Paralegal