- University Health Network
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a vision of achieving global impact through exemplary patient care, research and education, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together some of the world’s top medical, research and clinical specialists. The University Health Network, frequently ranked among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, represents the coming together of shared values and diverse expertise in patient care, research and education.
As Canada’s largest research hospital, UHN has a proud history of innovative research and important discoveries. Researchers at UHN are focused on investigating the causes of numerous diseases and are developing new and better ways to treat them and deliver better care. Focuses of research include cancer, cardiology, transplantation, immunology, infectious disease, health services, rehabilitation, fitness and mobility, neural and visual sciences, musculoskeletal disease and community and population health.
This is an exciting opportunity to join UHN as Legal Counsel – Research Agreements.
UHN is seeking a strategic and results-oriented lawyer to join its Legal Affairs Department. Aligned with the UHN’s strategic research direction, the candidate will provide a spectrum of legal services across the organization in respect of a diversity of research-related and associated technology-transfer activities. The Legal Counsel will support the Director, Research Legal and other members of Research Legal in drafting, maintaining and monitoring UHN legal and contractual obligations associated with research-related activities; providing expert legal advice and support to the Office of Technology Development & Commercialization (TDC) and other UHN stakeholders; performing legal research/education responsibilities; performing cross-functional and other responsibilities as assigned and/or requested. The Legal Counsel will also serve as a point of contact for a diverse array of UHN Research stakeholders (e.g. Principal Investigators, Research Personnel), UHN departments (e.g. StRIDe/Grants office, Clinical Trials Agreement Office (CTAO), Corporate Legal Affairs, Privacy/Compliance, Research Ethics Board (REB)) and external corporate/academic research and/or commercialization partners.
• Advises UHN stakeholders and management on legal matters relevant to research-related and technology transfer matters
• Some knowledge of intellectual property law preferred
• Experience in health law and/or corporate law would be an asset
• Negotiates, drafts and reviews a diverse assortment of legal agreements, including license agreements, option agreements, sponsored research agreement, collaboration agreements, co-development agreements, data transfer agreements, service agreements, material transfer agreements, etc.
• Provides expert legal assistance and guidance to TDC colleagues on files under their active management
• Identifies areas of potential legal and statutory risks in respect of UHN research-related contractual matters, and makes recommendations to ensure management of such risk
• Works with UHN clients to ensure ongoing contractual relationships are properly conducted to mitigate against contractual breaches
• Coordinates between various UHN departments to ensure that contractual obligations for ongoing grant, research, and business activities are properly documented and consistent across UHN
• Stays abreast of legislative developments in areas of privacy, regulatory law, intellectual property law (both domestic and foreign) as particularly relevant to transactions, remedies, and contract law to ensure “best practices” in contractual matters
• Conducts fact-finding and legal research on a variety of research-related legal matters of a potential litigious nature (e.g. IP ownership and/or faulty chain of title, conflicting contractual obligations, etc.)
• Consults with/refers to internal/external resources as required (including funding and government agencies, external counsel, and other UHN departments)
• Identifies and reports relevant findings and recommendations to UHN management
• Participates in the provision of training to UHN Personnel on relevant and changing legal, IP and regulatory matters
• As required, participates on UHN committee(s)
• At minimum, completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree, preferably with a scientific background; and a Bachelor’s Degree in Law (or recognized equivalent)
• Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with colleagues, and effectively as part of a team
• Some familiarity with an academic or hospital research institution is preferred
• Fairness, openness, patience and a high level of integrity
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
• Excellent customer service, interpersonal and diplomacy skills
• Excellent organizational and time management skills required to handle competing priorities/deadlines
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
• Eagerness to engage in the further development of legal knowledge and skills in a self-directed manner, and work with limited supervision
• At minimum, three (3) years of practical related legal experience
• Demonstrated experience in negotiating, drafting and/or reviewing contracts pertaining to academic research-related and/or associated technology-transfer matters
• An ability to develop and sustain effective and collaborative professional working relationships and partnerships
• Some experience in the conduct of independent legal, IP and/or regulatory research is preferred
• Some proficiency in the use and maintenance of computer database systems and data analytics is preferred
• Member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
POSTED DATE: November 2, 2018 CLOSING DATE: Posted Until Filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.