Legal Counsel (Biotech. & AI)
- Deep Genomics
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Intellectual Property Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Deep Genomics is a Toronto-based startup company that is changing the future of medicine using artificial intelligence. Founded in 2015, Deep Genomics brings together a multidisciplinary team of world-leading experts in machine learning, genomics, chemistry and biology. Together we are on a mission to develop an AI-powered platform for rapid discovery and development of the best genetic medicines, focusing on oligonucleotide drugs for the treatment of patients with rare genetic diseases.
Deep Genomics, the leading AI therapeutics company, is looking for a talented and highly motivated lawyer to join our growing team. You will provide legal support to all aspects of our business.
In addition to the responsibilities listed below, the nature of our industry along with the rapid growth of our business will provide an ambitious individual with substantial opportunities for development. We expect that the successful candidate will actively seek additional responsibilities depending on their interests and abilities.
- Reviewing, revising, and managing documents in connection with general corporate and employment matters; drafting policies and procedures
- Negotiating, drafting, and reviewing service, material transfer, and technology licensing agreements
- Supporting the business development team on complex transactions
- Conducting as-needed legal research on IP and regulatory matters
- Coordinating external counsel with respect to all of the above
- At least two years’ experience at a top-tier full-service firm or IP boutique. A focus on high-growth companies and/or IP-related transactions is preferred.
- A demonstrated ability to rapidly develop fluency in diverse scientific disciplines. Previous education or experience in the life and/or computer sciences is strongly preferred.
- Superlative organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- A flexible attitude to job roles as well as a willingness to contribute wherever they’re needed. The ideal candidate will take full ownership of their core responsibilities, and will be comfortable with those responsibilities evolving with the changing needs of the company.
- Comfort working with limited supervision in a fast-paced and rapidly growing work environment.
- Previous experience working in a high-growth and/or biotechnology company is desirable.
What we Offer
- A highly competitive salary, meaningful equity compensation, and exceptional opportunities for learning and growth.
- You’ll also be joining a bright, collegial, highly-motivated group working at the intersection of the most exciting areas of science and technology.
Deep Genomics thanks all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deep Genomics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.