- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Deloitte is looking to hire a Commercial Lawyer to join our team in downtown Toronto. The ideal candidate will have 5 – 10 years of commercial law experience at a leading law firm or as in-house counsel. This position will be part of our collegial and enthusiastic Office of the General Counsel. The Canadian OGC consists of approximately 25 people, including lawyers, paralegals, law clerks and paraprofessionals. We are looking for a motivated lawyer to add to the overall success of our team. This is a multi-faceted role with many opportunities to do a variety of challenging work.
- We are looking for someone who possesses strong decision making skills and excellent drafting skills. You will work on a variety of commercial agreements ranging from:
- Contracts with Deloitte’s clients which will include standard form contracts, master services agreements with global clients with a particular focus on transformative IT consulting services with large private and public sector entities
- Global ventures between Deloitte member firms.
- Strategic alliance and joint venture agreements
- Negotiations of complex licensing and resale agreements, including in areas of emerging technology (Digital, AI etc.).
- Advising business leaders on the implementation of, and risks associated with, technology systems and innovations
- Preparing agreements for the procurement of technology solutions and other products and services
- Advising on information/data security, privacy and confidentiality considerations
- Support on proposals, particularly review of public sector contracts in requests for proposal in response to public sector tenders and contracting with the federal, provincial and municipal governments and Crown corporations
- Experience in Mergers and Acquisitions is preferred to support Deloitte’s growth through strategic acquisitions which will include:
- Support on deals by conducting legal due diligence, identifying risk factors on deals and drafting and negotiating purchase agreements
- Support Deloitte (Canada) in its arrangements within our global network, including shared services agreements and joint ventures.
- Provide support to the firm’s internal functions such as finance and HR with respect to internal firm partnerships and structuring arrangements
External Posting Qualifications
- University Degree and a current member of a Provincial Bar in good standing
- 5 – 10 post-call) work experience as a corporate/commercial lawyer either at a law firm or as internal counsel with a strong background in technology and IP
- Self-motivated and with a desire to work both independently and in a collegial team environment
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills with experience resolving complex problems
- Demonstrated willingness to accept challenges and ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced environment with competing client demands
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written
- Ability to read and speak French or Spanish, and work in civil law, an asset (but not a requirement)
- Transactional involvement within a broad range of industries, including private equity, banking, financial advisory services, real estate, asset management, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, technology, and energy.
- Experience drafting and negotiating transactional documents, merger agreements, purchase and sale agreements, securities documents and public filings, commercial contracts, license agreements, employment agreements, master services agreements, transitional services agreements, non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements, novation and assignment agreements, escrow agreements, letters of intent, MOUs, and company formation and organizational documents.
- Highly client-service oriented with a proven commitment to quality
- Experience working across borders and with clients from different geographies and cultures
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills
- Demonstrates consistent thought leadership and strategic thinking in sensitive and complex situations
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively delivering information orally and in writing
- Strong work ethic; we are a leanly staffed legal department and everyone in the OGC handles a broad array of matters, works on all facets of those matters and directly interfaces with Deloitte network leaders
- Ability to build and maintain business relationships across the Deloitte network and externally
Get your career off to a great start. What impact will you make?
We’re always looking for people with the relentless energy to drive and push themselves further to find new avenues and unique ways of reaching our shared goals. At Deloitte, we know that being the undisputed leader means empowering our people to be the very best they can be – so they can make an impact that matters for clients, colleagues and the community, and for their own careers.
We offer a truly differentiated talent experience that empowers our people with unlimited opportunities to do meaningful work and to grow, learn, and lead at every point in their career. Deloitte’s newly designed offices offer unique workspaces that strengthen connections, inspire innovative ways of working, and provide the necessary tools to help you make an impact that matters. And with our global reach and network, you’ll always be part of the Deloitte community.
“Once Deloitte, always Deloitte.”
Lead yourself. Lead a team. Lead the firm. It’s all possible at Deloitte.
Deloitte is one of Canada’s leading professional services firms, providing audit, tax, consulting and financial advisory services across Canada. At Deloitte, we combine industry insight with a deep understanding of today’s local and global business challenges to give our clients the intelligent, practical and principled solutions they need to resolve both today’s and tomorrow’s challenges.
Let Deloitte show you how to push your career to the next level. And let your story unfold.
Deloitte is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.