Behind every one of our products and services is a team of motivated, intelligent and hard-working employees. As the largest provider of property and casualty insurance in the country, every one of our 12,000 employees believes that our customer service focus is second to none - and you will too!
We are here to help people, businesses and society prosper in good times and be resilient in bad times. We’re a financially strong and stable Canadian company who is the proven leader in our industry – and we’re looking for you!
Intact Insurance Company has a team of over 150 litigators in 12 locations across Canada, including 3 in Western Canada. We are currently looking for a dynamic leader to join our Edmonton office as a Legal Manager. This position is a full time role.
We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace that inspires each of us to be the best we can be. Join our team and make a difference!
As a Legal Manager, you will lead and mentor lawyers to achieve key business goals of the department. You will provide technical expertise and leadership to ensure efficient and effective work processes, quality service and continuous feedback and improvement.
With this purpose in mind, you will:
- Lead and coach a team of Lawyers. This entails guiding and coaching, working with each lawyer on development, and providing regular feedback.
- Provide leadership to the lawyer team, including communication of department procedures, motivating staff regarding department goals and objectives, communicating changes and directions.
- Facilitate learning and development. Prepares and implements action plans for the team. Act as an advisor and consultant on file related matters including opinions for clients, file strategy and trial preparation.
- Assist in communication with Claims on trial discussions and other complex file related issues.
- Conduct regular quality review of legal files (QRP) of the team and provide guidance, feedback and training as determined by the results. Develop and implement management strategies to achieve department goals.
- Co-ordinate continuing education for team, including leading discussion at team meetings and presentation to claims staff.
- Compile and analyze statistics and reports, monitor and predict legal trends.
- Does not actively handle files per se; may, however attend discoveries, mediations or other events for team members and may act as trial counsel in lead, second, or consulting capacity.
- Assist Director on task based assignments.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law
- 8 + years of relevant practice post-call to the bar (advanced intermediate or senior counsel)
- Strong knowledge of Rules of Civil Procedure, Insurance and related law
- Strong rapport with Claims departments
- Strong management capabilities
- Member in Good Standing of Law Society of Alberta
As part of Intact’s selection process, candidates may be requested to consent to background checks relevant to the role under consideration for, prior to receiving a job offer. These could include: work references, education and credential confirmation, employment verification, identity check, credit report, criminal offence and driver’s license record.
This role is eligible for employee referral bonus. #RightPeopleRightRole
Applicants must be permanently eligible to work in Canada upon hire. Proof of eligibility for permanent roles may come in the form of a Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, permanent residence card or confirmation.
This posting will be open until a suitable candidate is found.