General Counsel Americas
- McCain Foods
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, General Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Compliance, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 10+ years
We know the importance that food plays in people's lives – the power it has to bring people, families and communities together. Our purpose is to bring enjoyment to people’s lives through great tasting food, in a way which reflects our values.
At McCain, the legal team is responsible for providing and managing legal and compliance services and assisting with the management of risks associated with McCain’s global business operations. The business groups look to the legal team for assistance and guidance in contractual and other dealings with third parties, including customers, suppliers and regulators. We are now seeking a General Counsel, Americas to join as a key member of the legal team and head up our team of lawyers and supporting staff servicing our business in the Americas. Located in our Toronto office, this person will report to our Chief Legal Officer, and act as a trusted advisor on major business transactions and provide both strategic and day-to-day advice to the business on legal and transactional matters, focused in the Americas.
- Develop, direct and motivate the Americas legal team, working in collaboration with McCain lawyers in other regions.
- Provide advice and assistance with respect to strategic projects, including merger and acquisition transactions.
- Assist with customer, supplier and other third party agreements with the goal of assisting business partners to achieve their objectives while identifying and mitigating risks.
- Working in collaboration with internal and external resources, provide strategic advice with respect to intellectual property matters.
- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs, and provide training and mentoring with respect to policies and procedures relating to competition, compliance and other matters.
- Provide support to other functions as necessary with respect to a variety of regulatory and food safety matters.
- Provides counsel in employment matters, including the provision of legal support to the human resources function as required.
- Minimum 10 years of broad legal experience, with an emphasis on corporate/commercial, mergers & acquisitions, compliance, corporate governance and regulatory matters
- Ability to contribute at a strategic level with a proactive approach to risk management
- Excellent management and leadership skills
- Build strong relationships and collaborate across the organization
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Experience in international manufacturing sector is preferred