- WE Charity
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Business Law, Non-Profit
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
WE Charity is a not for profit corporation and registered charity that brings people together and gives them the tools to change the world. Our vision is to shift the world from “me” to “we.” Our mission is to empower all people to change the world, locally and globally, achieving transformative outcomes for themselves and others.
WE Charity is seeking a Legal Counsel. This opportunity suits lawyers who are highly-motivated, thrive in fast paced work environments and wish to use their expertise to make a greater impact.
The position is based out of WE’s office in Toronto.
In this role, the successful candidate will support all members of the WE Charity team to help achieve its mission. This will include, but not be limited to, working on the following matters and coordinating outside firms to assist with the same:
- Not-for-profit and charity law: assisting the Executive Team and Board of Directors regarding governance and related matters, attending to matters related to the Income Tax Act;
- Contracts: drafting and reviewing agreements including sponsorship, donation, and service agreements;
- Entertainment law: assisting the WE Day team to operate the international WE Day tour, online content and television properties;
- Intellectual Property: overseeing the filing and protection of trademarks in various jurisdictions around the world, licensing copyright;
- Regulatory: assisting all teams with anti-spam, privacy, contest law, and related matters; and
- Policy: drafting of internal policies and training staff on the same.
What you bring:
- A J.D. or LL.B. with great academic credentials;
- License to practice law in Ontario;
- Experience in-house and/or at a top-tier firm;
- At least four (4) years of relevant professional experience;
- Experience supporting a not-for-profit and/or international organization with diverse program offerings and cross-functional teams;
- Experience negotiating sponsorship, licensing and service agreements;
- Experience with not-for-profit governance matters;
- Attention to detail, and high-level of accountability for the quality and timely completion of projects;
- Exceptional judgement and relationship-building skills;
- Ability to time-manage and multi-task in a demanding and fast-paced work environment;
- Strong and enthusiastic work ethic and passion for the WE Charity mission.
What makes us unique…
WE is a family of organizations making doing good, doable. WE Charity empowers domestic and international change. WE Day fills stadiums around the world with the greatest celebration of social good.
WE enables youth and families to better the world – supporting 2,500+ local and global causes by volunteering millions of hours of service, making everyday choices to make an impact, and raising millions of dollars that directly benefit their local communities and the world. Globally, our teams in Asia, Africa, and Latin America have provided more than 1 million people with clean water, built 1,000 schools and schoolrooms overseas, and empowered more than 200,000 children with access to education. WE was founded more than 20 years ago by social entrepreneurs, brothers Craig and Marc Kielburger.
WE values diversity in its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Applicants requiring a disability-related accommodation at any stage of WE’s recruitment process should contact the People Operations and Culture Department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 416-925-5894. As required by applicable legislation, WE will consult with applicants requesting such an accommodation to ensure that WE’s recruitment process takes into account their accessibility needs, including in relation to the materials or processes to be used by WE.