- BMO Financial Group
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
- provides and/or manages the delivery of legal advice from external and/or internal counsel
- ensures compliance with internal policies and procedures
- interprets legislation affecting the organization or assigned groups
- ensures ongoing delivery of legal advice
- implements areas of improvement to ensure consistency with market practice
- as appropriate, contributes to and propose strategy and design of legal advice strategies
- identifies risks and communicates appropriate with stakeholders, in support of functions/activities of an assigned business group
- With minimal supervision, delivers legal advice and instructs external counsel and ensures compliance with internal policies & procedures, for the enterprise.
- Organizes ongoing delivery of legal advice for assigned business area and recommends and implements areas of improvement to ensure consistency with market practice.
- Participate in strategy and design of legal advice strategies and approaches for the unit activity.
- Exercises judgment on complex, confidential and sensitive decisions. Typically expected to resolve most day-to-day issues and/or escalate with appropriate analysis and recommendation
- Participates in devising strategy and making recommendations to minimize risk. Proactively identifies risks and potential problems and communicates appropriately to stakeholders.
- Identifies and resolves moderately complex issues. Determines root causes of issues. Negotiates complex issue resolution.
- Minimum requirements are a degree in law (LLB or JD ) and license to practice law in Ontario.
- Commercial law experience in the areas of technology, procurement and outsourcing. Experience in the areas of privacy, cybersecurity and data governance will be an asset.
- Knowledge of business and regulatory environment in which BMO Financial Group operates, particularly in technology and outsourcing activities.
- Generally, 7 or more years of legal practice or other relevant experience.
- Prior private practice with in-house experience or experience at regulatory body is preferred.
- Skills in proactively providing ideas, advice and solutions relative to legal issues
- Strong analytical capability and judgement
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Above average negotiations skills
- Good relationship management skills/able to relate at all levels
- Ability to work independently or in team environment
- Strong research skills
We’re here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.