- City of Burlington
- $100,517– $125,647
- Solicitor, Lawyer - Public Sector
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
Reporting to the City Solicitor and Director of Legal Services this position is responsible for undertaking and completing legal matters as required by City staff, Council, and the City Solicitor. This position is also responsible for ensuring maximum achievement of Corporation's goals and minimizing legal liability of the City while carrying out assigned duties. Responsibilities The Solicitor is responsible for:
- Providing legal representation and strategic advice to all City departments and Council primarily in relation to complex contract and general commercial law matters with both public and private sector entities. Reviewing, drafting and negotiating sophisticated agreements with particular emphasis on public procurement, construction, infrastructure and complex IT projects.
- Providing legal advice and opinions in respect of corporate governance matters with particular emphasis on matters subject to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
- Monitors relevant changes to legislation as well as case law, to ensure that the Corporation has up-to-date information to act upon.
- Participating on inter-departmental and corporate teams reviewing issues of legal and corporate interest, as assigned by the City Solicitor.
Requirements Our ideal candidate will have a LL.B or J.D., as well as membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario. You will have experience providing clear, concise, practical advice on a broad range of municipal matters with a focus on procurement standards applicable to municipal governments, freedom of information legislation, and agreements relating to complex IT projects. This role requires strong interpersonal skills as Solicitor has frequent interactions with staff, politicians, external counsel and the public on issues that may be controversial or sensitive in nature. Exceptional time management, including the ability to handle inflexible deadlines and short turnaround times, as well as strong attention to detail are required to successfully perform this position. Job Description Click here