Advisor, Legal affairs
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Job Type
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional Degree - LL.B or B.C.L
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Desjardins Group is the largest cooperative financial group in Canada, and one of the largest employers in the country. It offers a full range of financial products and services and is home to a wealth of expertise in property and casualty insurance, life and health insurance, wealth management, services for businesses of all sizes, securities brokerage, asset management, venture capital, and secure, leading-edge virtual access methods.
As a legal affairs advisor, you help protect the organization’s legal interests by ensuring it complies with all laws. You also play a key role in making sure that its rights are protected and obligations are met. You represent the organization in situations involving its legal interests. You may be responsible for one or more sub-specialties, such as contested matters and the Office of the Corporate Secretary (ethics and professional conduct, official registries, meeting minutes, the general meeting, etc.).
You advise and assist clients and partners as part of intervention and development initiatives. You develop tools, methods and processes. Your projects and initiatives require extensive knowledge of your line of work.
You propose recommendations, solutions and action plans based on the organization’s objectives and priorities. You share ideas and help solve problems using your analytical skills and extensive knowledge of the line of business. You interact with stakeholders working in other fields. Interpersonal savvy is therefore essential.
Specifically, the legal advisor will represent the insurer and/or insured for all legal purposes, taking charge of legal or contentious files related to the casualty and civil liability insurance field and making sure they are followed up properly. This person will also have to draft legal opinions on various legal issues and provide follow-up and advisory support to internal partners on all kinds of legal matters. Their work may require regular travel throughout the province (25% of the time).
- Analyze, advise and support the Group’s units with respect to recourses to the courts and administrative tribunals.
- Issue opinions on facts and applicable laws and what actions should be taken.
- Represent the organization and its insureds before the courts in files of varying degrees of complexity.
- Monitor compliance with applicable laws and regulations by the different sectors of the organization, and work with the compliance monitoring sectors by giving them all the support they need.
Other working conditions
- Temporary work : scheduled to end on : 11-29, 2019
- Number of jobs available : 1
- You must meet the requirements marked as mandatory in the job profile to qualify as a candidate. The rest of the skills and qualifications described are considered assets
- Please note that other combinations of qualifications and relevant experience may be considered
- For vacant positions available in Quebec, please note that knowledge of French is required
Desjardins Cross-sector skills
Accountability, Collaborates, Customer Focus, Innovation
Key competencies for the job
Business insight, Communicates effectively, Interpersonal Savvy
Years of relevant experience: 2