Legal Counsel, Intermediate
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Insurance Law, Litigation
- Job Type
- Permanent, Temporary
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Please note: this job posting is for 1 - 12 month opportunity and 1 permanent full time opportunity.
We’re here to help people, businesses and society proper in good times and be resilient in bad times. We’re focused on what matters to our customers. We listen and connect. We make their problems our problems. We strive to understand what they’re going through. We build products with them in mind and offer solutions that help. And we deliver on our promises. We believe that insurance is not about things, it’s about people.
A career in Insurance has never been this exciting.
Evolving consumer expectations and technology have helped to shape a new vision for our industry – and we are leading the way. Our Technology teams are reshaping the way we do business and setting new industry benchmarks. Our product teams are developing products that protect people and businesses so they can focus on what matters to them most.
Our success story is written by our passion for creating a better tomorrow. We’re re-writing the future of insurance - are you ready to be a part of the story?
This is your opportunity.
Are you interested in handling your own diverse insurance defence practice and enjoy a high level of professional independence? Is it a priority for you to work in a collegial work environment with other experienced and talented lawyers? Do you seek strong professional development opportunities including the opportunity to run your own Trials and Court of Appeal matters? Are you looking for a financially strong and stable company? Is it important for you to work for an organization that supports personal well-being and balance? If your answer is “yes”, you would be well suited for a positon at Intact’s Legal Department.
As Legal Counsel, Intermediate you will work as part of the Claims Litigation team providing legal representation to the claims department on Property and Casualty litigation files. By utilizing your superior litigation and analytical skills, you will work to identify legal issues impacting on claim resolution and be able to develop a creative and proactive approach to file resolution.
This role will give you the chance to:
- Handle insurance defence files of varying complexities independently from beginning to conclusion.
- Independently prepare and conduct applications/motions, discoveries, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trial conferences and Trials.
- Draft opinions, pleadings, affidavits and other legal documents to support motion applications,
- mediation briefs and pre-trial memoranda.
- Prepare and present educational legal seminars to the claims department.
- Maintain productive and effective communications with the claims department and adjusters.
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of BC for at least 3 to 10 years.
- A minimum of 3 to 10 years of experience in insurance defence litigation.
- Experience in the following areas is a definite asset: property damage, strata property matters, bodily injury and / or subrogation.
- Strong ability to handle multi-party actions.
- Expertise in drafting pleadings, conducting discoveries and preparing for and conducting Trials.
- Proficient in alternative dispute resolution including independent preparation and conduct of Mediations.
- Superior organizational skills, including the ability to handle multiple case files simultaneously and independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build effective client relationships.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, combined with research, negotiation and analytical skills.
The fine print.
Prior to receiving a job offer, you may be asked to consent to background checks if it’s a requirement for the role. These checks could include: work references, education and credential confirmation, employment verification, identity check, credit report, criminal offence and driver’s license record.
Eligibility to work in Canada
It’s important that you are eligible to work in Canada at the time an offer of employment is made. For permanent roles, proof of eligibility can be a Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, permanent residence card or confirmation.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Intact, our values guide everything that we do. We celebrate our differences and appreciate our
similarities. That’s why we are committed to building an inclusive and inspiring environment for all employees.
If you are in need of a specific accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will be happy to provide.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.