Index Exchange is looking for a Legal Counsel, North America, to join the Legal & Corporate Governance team in our Downtown Toronto office.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Support the General Counsel in identifying legal, regulatory and compliance requirements and risks associated with business initiatives, and developing and implementing appropriate mitigation strategies
- Work with members of the global legal department on enterprise-wide legal issues and projects
- Review, draft, and negotiate a wide range of commercial agreements with business partners, vendors, and other third parties
- Offering counsel on a variety of legal issues
- Advising executives within the company
- Working alongside other departments within the company
- Advising on contract status, legal risks, and the legal liabilities associated therewith
- Researching and anticipating unique legal issues that could impact the company
- Reviewing marketing and communications materials to ensure that they are in compliance with legal requirements
- Providing training to the company on legal topics
- Research and respond to general legal inquiries that relate to corporate, litigation, intellectual property and compliance matters, including CASL, PIPEDA, GDPR, and global privacy-related matters, and advise business on appropriate legal action to be taken
- Advise on legal issues related to the collection, usage, and licensing of content/data/personal data from multiple sources
- Coordinate legal matters handled by external counsel
- Provide general legal support to all areas of the company
- Undertake other reasonable duties as requested
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 4+ years of post-qualification commercial/transactional experience in private practice and/or in-house
- LLB/JD degree from a recognized university
- Must be a member in good standing with the Ontario bar and New York bar
- Excellent negotiation and drafting skills. Excellent written/verbal communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships within the organization’s legal department and across all businesses
- Ability to successfully work in a team environment and ability to build rapport and trust with both internal and external stakeholders. Ability to juggle multiple matters at once and work independently in a fast-paced environment and prioritize accordingly. Ability to exercise good judgment on when to seek help and where to find appropriate resources to solve problems.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, to identify and resolve legal issues, desire and ability to quickly learn about company products and services, and its internal processes and organizational structure
- Experience in digital advertising or technology industries is a strong asset
Here’s why you’ll love working here:
Our Downtown Toronto office is an open concept office designed to facilitate communication and collaboration. Catered lunches on Fridays, flex hours, a kitchen full of snacks and a relaxed dress code is the norm here. All employees also receive full healthcare benefits, RRSP matching, gym memberships, paid training, and regular social events with awesome swag.
At Index Exchange. we believe that successful products are built by teams just as diverse as the audience who uses them. As such, we are committed to equal employment opportunity. We celebrate the diversity of race, color, and ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. Additionally, we realize that diversity is deeper than any status or classification- diversity is the human experience. for those who show grit, passion, and humility- IX will welcome you.
Index Exchange is committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Please let us know if you'd like to request a reasonable accommodation.