General Counsel & Compliance Lead
- Sigma Systems Canada
- Oakville, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, General Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Compliance
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
The General Counsel is an active member of the management team providing effective and timely legal services with the purpose of accelerating the organization’s achievement of its strategic objectives while protecting the company’s interests.
Provides proactive leadership through the direction of the legal activities of the organization including; customer and partner contract negotiations, contract life cycle management, intellectual property rights management, securities law, employment law, employment and corporate litigation management, insurance portfolio management, mergers and acquisitions activities, and corporate governance.
Interacts with and provides advice and counsel to managers concerning laws that impact their functional areas. Acts as corporate secretary for Board of Directors, Audit Committees and other sub-committees.
The company is ISO/IEC 27001:2013 certified, GDPR-compliant, as well as impacted by other customer and industry related regulatory and compliance matters. The ISO 27001 standard requires the company to act responsibly towards information security events and demonstrate its policies and processes meet the standards requirements, at all times. To this end, the Compliance Lead role will provide the oversight of the company’s compliance audits, certifications, training, contractual requirements, compliance with customer/vendor requirements, and keep up-to-date with new developments that might impact the company.
Manages the activities of Sigma’s legal and compliance teams, external counsel and additional internal council and supervises the corporate contracts administration.
Core competencies for this important role include collaboration, agility, dedication, innovative thinking, problem-solving skills, strong communicator, integrity, accountable, energetic, courage and the drive to exceed expectations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will:
- Creates and maintains worldwide corporate legal policies and procedures and contract templates required for appropriate corporate governance.
- Provides proactive negotiation support and effective system of contract administration. Negotiates, prepares, and reviews all contracts with customers, partners and suppliers, with emphasis on software related agreements.
- Co-ordinates all aspects of a worldwide intellectual property protection program including; copyrights, patents, trademarks, trade secrets, et cetera. Owner of corporate information security.
- Participates in all aspects of securities law compliance and actively participates on the mergers and acquisition team.
- Provides proactive corporate governance support including advisory services to the directors and corporate officers. Acts as corporate secretary to board of directors and sub-committees.
- Selects, co-ordinates, and optimizes use of external counsel and supervises the corporate contracts administration.
- Proactively interacts with Human Resources in relation to worldwide employment issues. These activities include review of all corporate human resource templates and intellectual property contracts. Co-ordinates all employment litigation activities.
- Co-ordinates worldwide legal issues relating to; contracts, insurance, leases, employment, taxation, securities et cetera.
- Owner of corporate insurance portfolio including D&O and corporate insurance
- Routine matrix management and leadership of staff associated with the Information Security Management needs.
- Liaises with and offers strategic direction to related governance functions (such as Physical Security/Facilities, Risk Management, IT, HR, Legal and Finance), plus senior and middle managers throughout the organization as necessary, on information security matters such as routine security activities plus emerging security risks and control technologies.
- Establishes and maintains a “Centre of excellence” on the Data Privacy regulatory needs, offering internal management consultancy advice and practical assistance on Data Privacy matters throughout the organization and promoting the commercial advantages of managing Data Privacy risks more efficiently and effectively.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 5-10 years in practice; compensation commensurate with experience.
- Law Degree and a member of the LSUC; emphasis on corporate law.
- Any international calls to the bar are an asset.
- Experience in a corporate legal environment.
- Experience with drafting and negotiating software related agreements.
- General corporate, intellectual property, securities and employment law experience an asset.
- Detailed oriented and diligent.
- Excellent time management, communications, decision making, presentation, writing and organizational skills.
- Excellent business sense a must. Business person first, lawyer second.
- Previous experience with ISO27001, GDPR, and other security and data privacy matters is a strong asset.
- Any certifications or qualifications relating to information security, such as ISO27001 ISMS Lead Auditor / Implementor is helpful (training will be available).