Dicom Transportation Group is seeking a corporate/commercial lawyer with a background in all facets of corporate/commercial law and strong business acumen.
In this role, you will handle a broad spectrum of legal issues related to the company’s day-to-day business operations and play a key role in supporting the various internal functional departments with their business initiatives with the goal of identifying and quantifying risks for the business, and where appropriate, helping mitigate such risks.
As a Corporate Legal Counsel, your primary duties & responsibilities will be:
- Working collaboratively and creatively with internal clients by effectively rendering clear, practical and timely legal advice on complex issues/concepts
- Advising on the interpretation of legal documents and applicable laws and regulations in a manner that provides practical legal advice while properly managing risk to the organization
- Working with managers from different functional areas to draft, review, negotiate and interpret a wide range of documentation (agreements, policies, etc.)
- Ensuring compliance with contractual agreements, company policies and applicable laws and regulations, including labor laws
- Assisting and advising the different business units from a legal standpoint with the structuring of various business initiatives, including labor relations
- Identifying legal issues, providing legal options and analysis of possible legal solutions, and giving recommendations for addressing critical issues so that business and legal objectives are met
- Interacting from time to time with external counsel, advisors, external vendors, and business partners
- Representing the organization before various courts
- Keeping informed of new laws, regulations, and industry trends affecting the organization, and assisting with the development of policies and training as needed
Education and Training
- Member of the Quebec Bar or at least one Bar association of a Canadian province
- Bachelor of Law
- 8 to 10 years of experience practicing corporate/commercial law in a law firm or in-house; a combination of experience practicing at a top tier firm and in-house considered an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Bilingual (French & English), oral & written
- Strong knowledge of corporate/commercial law is essential; knowledge of or experience in the transportation industry is considered an asset
- Must thrive working in a fast-paced, while remaining proactive, resourceful and efficient, and maintaining high quality and standards
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build collaborative business relationships with key stakeholders
- Good conflict management and negotiation skills
- Maintain the highest standards of ethics and professional integrity
- Strong writing and communication skills in English and in French
- Exhibit initiative and assertiveness including the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Enthusiasm for getting involved in the business, as opposed to just the related legal aspects.
- Availability to travel occasionally is required
- A determination to make a difference.