- Coast Capital Savings
- British Columbia
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Intellectual Property Law, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Minimum Level of Education
- Certificate from community college
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Together, we help empower you to achieve what’s important in your life.
What’s the job?
The Legal Manager is a senior paralegal position and is a key member of our internal Legal team. This role will play a key part in handling and assisting on day-to-day operational issues on a variety of matters (i.e. corporate/commercial, contracts, regulatory, estate, support to Operations, human resources, litigation, due diligence, transactions, intellectual property, etc.) and participating in projects with in-house and external lawyers. This role is also responsible for establishing and maintaining legal processes for matters including workflow and file management systems, managing legal invoices and assisting with the administration of the department budget.
What you’ll get to do:
- Interpret and apply organizational policies.
- Gather information and research issues relating to corporate, regulatory and other relevant laws.
- Assist in non-complex legal advice.
- Draft letters, simple form agreements and other legal documents.
- Assist in intellectual property management.
- May design, develop, and maintain general counsel databases, file systems and processes.
- Assist in the drafting of contracts.
- Manage litigation documents and ongoing summaries for corporate Committee and Board reporting.
- Maintain corporate filing/database.
- Assist with due diligence in connection with corporate projects and initiatives.
- Undertake more advanced legal work when gathering factual information and researching statutes, regulations and court decisions.
- Prepare summaries of findings including sound legal research and analysis of key issues
- Work with other departments to create processes
- Keep up-to-date with key regulatory changes, etc.
Who are we looking for?
- More than 8 years of demonstrable experience as senior paralegal managing multiple workflows in a law firm
- Experience in overseeing projects, corporate/commercial work including mergers & acquisitions, intellectual property, document review and drafting, and budgeting.
- Knowledge of litigation process an asset.
- Paralegal certification. Bachelor's degree would be an asset.
- Advanced abilities in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Familiarity with online research tools.
- Experience with project management software/contract tracking programs/document management software an asset.
- Accuracy and detail-orientation.
- Sound judgment and initiative.
- Strong written and spoken communication and diplomatic negotiation/advising skills.
- Ability to multi-task, establish priorities, work independently and problem-solve effectively.
Why join Coast Capital Savings?
We don’t mean to toot our own horn, but…
- We improve Canadians’ financial well-being through providing simple financial help.
- Employees do what’s best for our members. Every day.
- We believe in being a great corporate citizen so we invest in our local communities by donating our time, money and expertise.
- Our employees take advantage of the many opportunities to grow their careers.
- Employees love having a cool place to work, which includes wearing their jeans on Fridays & Saturdays and being recognized with a virtual (and, at times, an actual) high-five.
- Our inspiring leaders help our employees develop their talents and encourage them to be their fabulous selves.
- We have a unique culture where we take our business seriously, but ourselves, not so much.
- In 2017, we earned double kudos by being named one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies – two of the nation’s most coveted business ads, may we add.
Does this position inspire you? If so, apply today at Coast Capital Savings.