- Lawyer - In House Counsel, General Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Entertainment & Sports Law, Media & Communications Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 65 million people around the world spend over 15 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Tap by Wattpad, Wattpad Labs, Wattpad Studios, and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
Wattpad is seeking a Corporate Counsel who will report to the CFO and be based in Toronto. In this key senior role you will have overall responsibility for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives. You will provide the leadership team with timely and effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, and oversees the work of outside counsel. You will be involved in complex business transactions, and in negotiating critical contracts.
What you'll be doing
- Partner with our Head of Studios (60%) to optimize partnerships, agreements and contracts related to: Rights / Talent Agreements; Story option/purchase; Shopping Agreements; Wattpad Stars programs; Entertainment / Publishing Agreements; Book publishing (single book and imprint style agreements); TV/Film/Digital (single title and slate deals); Contests
- Partner cross-functionally among Wattpad’s various business units to craft, review or negotiate agreements, contracts, and licenses (third parties, vendors, partners, etc.)
- Review contest rules and regulations related to brand solutions campaigns and the Watty awards
- Review and advise on IP law related to patents, and copyright
- Support our vast community of users by ensuring our policies and procedures are all encompassing and impactful related to: Copyright infringement laws and DMCA; User privacy compliance (including GDPR); Mature content, including international markets; Child sexual exploitation law enforcement compliance; Terms of service
- Conduct research and determine best practices to manage legal risks while strategically moving the business forward
- Ensure the Wattpad’s compliance with CBCA and shareholder agreements
- Provide guidance on governance structures and BOD reporting & record keeping
- Oversee the selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel
What we're looking for
- You have a minimum of 5 years experience in a senior legal leadership role with broad based legal responsibilities at a prominent law firm or in-house company, ideally with expertise in digital media & entertainment legal matters
- A pragmatic and efficient way of dealing with issues, the ability to demonstrate financial literacy, and the confidence and competence to exercise discretion
- Extremely strong drafting, analytical and negotiation skills required to partner/support complex commercial agreements that impact all business units and functions
- Superior communication skills: oral, written, presentation
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to make decisions/give advice independently
- Strong business and operational acumen - results focused with a demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize competing requirements in a fast-paced environment
- LLB and legal entitled to practice in Ontario
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Meaningful equity (stock options)
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- Generous parental leave top-up
- Transit pass, choice of hardware, flexible hours
- Corporate discount for gym memberships for you and your family
- A beautiful office in downtown Toronto, with easy access to transit
- And a whole lot more!
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play...and all while having a great time.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. Our team is as diverse and eclectic as the global Wattpad community. In case it’s not clear: we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.