Governance, Risk, and Compliance Counsel
- Audi Canada
- Ajax, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Compliance, Risk Management, Governance
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Drive Your Career!
We love our cars, but it’s the people behind them who make them what they are. To market, sell, and service great cars, we need great people. That’s why at Volkswagen Group Canada, we are passionate about our cars and our brands and foster this same passion and drive in our people. We know that the right people in the right positions can do incredible things, and we love making that happen.
We are currently looking for a Governance, Risk, and Compliance Counsel
at our Volkswagen Group Canada Corporate Office in Ajax, ON
In this newly created role, as an experienced and dynamic compliance & legal professional with strong business acumen to navigate the complexities of a large international organization operating in Canada, you will support efforts to develop and maintain Volkswagen Group Canada’s Risk Management and Internal Controls system, Regulatory Compliance and Vendor Rick Management, and support the resolution of assigned audit findings and facilitate timely tracking and resolution of key issues.
Reporting to the President and Managing Director of Volkswagen Group Canada (VGCA), you will be responsible for ensuring VGCA’s GRC Framework drives appropriate policies and practices to support employees in all business units to proactively identify, assess, mitigate, monitor and report on all non-financial risk exposures throughout the company’s operations; and to ensure compliance with Volkswagen Group Compliance rules and guidelines in a timely manner. This position also supports to create a process-focused culture and a systematic approach to identifying, prioritizing, developing and implementing best practices to improve in operationally effective and efficient ways.
- Support non-financial risk analysis of the business and enforcing the RMS/ICS process through Risk and Control Self-Assessments (RCSA) to ensure the company is pro-active in avoiding potential risks related to non-compliance
- Lead the efforts to create compliance: issue policies, standards, guidelines and procedures for managing compliance throughout the organization
- Work directly with stakeholders across VGCA to support the various roles of Risk Management, including but not limited to requests for risk analysis from other areas of VGCA and VWAG
- Support the VGCA GRC risk analysis and reporting to management and VWAG
- Assist in developing an annual internal compliance and risk management testing program
- Provide guidance, practical recommendation to management and employees on Governance, Risk & Compliance matters
- Direct the development and implementation of compliance-related policies and procedures managing all employee and business compliance activity throughout VGCA across all brands
- Monitor and oversee internal reporting systems such as corporate compliance hotlines and inform employees about these and other compliance systems to ensure their effectiveness
- Review the work of colleagues when necessary to identify compliance issues and provide advice or training to business units on internal compliance topics
- Collaborate with Corporate Counsels and the Human Resources department to monitor enforcement of standards and regulations and to ensure the implementation of consistent disciplinary action strategies in cases of compliance standard violations
- Identify and communicate to the organization’s management and employees the associated risks of vendor provided processes and services in support of critical operations
- Manage activities related to the policies and procedures repository system, which includes Business units compliance, issuing and reviewing policies, standards, guidelines and procedures throughout the organization
- Support Records Management function throughout the organization to ensure corporate policy compliance
Identify and implement process improvements while driving issue resolution/risk mitigation activities
Build and maintain formal process documentation including procedures and process flow diagrams
Understand the cultural dynamics of the current state of the business practice and values and assist in creating practical solution for departments without paralyzing the business
Support various departments on projects related to Governance, Risk and Compliance
What we’re asking for:
Law degree (LLB or JD) and admitted as a Lawyer to the Law Society of Ontario
3+ years of experience in legal, compliance, or internal and/or external audit
3+ years of experience in Governance, Risk and Compliance
Strong knowledge of Governance, Operational Risk and Compliance.
Working knowledge of Committee of Sponsoring Organizations (COSO2013) Integrated Internal Controls and Risk Management Framework an asset
Strong analytical and problem solving skills to identify, analyze and mitigate GRC related risks in existing processes, policies and procedures.
Strong communication skills, both oral and written with ability to write reports.
Effective time management and excellent team player.
Experience in Microsoft applications specifically, Excel and PowerPoint, and Visio
Passionate around creativity, constructively and courageously challenging ‘the status quo’ with willingness to act as a change champion/catalyst
Flexibility for overtime and travel (local and global) as required (up to 25%)
What you’ll get in return:
• A flexible, collaborative, and dynamic work environment with an award-winning employer
• Many opportunities for personal and professional development
• Opportunities to participate in exciting company events that give back to the community
• Competitive employer paid benefits, pension and compensation package
• And much, much more!
**Please note that we appreciate the interest of all candidates, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
Additional information: Volkswagen Group Canada is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities during all phases of the hiring process including the application process. If you require an accommodation because of a disability, we will work with you to meet your needs. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. If you are selected for an interview and require an accommodation, you are encouraged to advise the Recruiter who will consult with you to determine an appropriate accommodation.