Vice President, Legal
- Pet Valu
- Markham, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate Law
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Reporting to the VP, U.S. Real Estate Law, the VP, Legal works as part of a privately-owned company cross-functional team to provide practical, business-oriented legal advice on a variety of matters and to support the execution of the Company's strategic direction and special projects in Canada. The incumbent will be primarily responsible for providing in-house counsel as it pertains to commercial leasing, contracts and franchise law. Additional experience in various other matters such as privacy, intellectual property and regulatory compliance would be advantageous.
What will you do?
- Specializing in real estate and, specifically, leasing:
- Provide legal expertise to the corporation on matters relating to real estate and leasing.
- Provide legal expertise on other non-real estate related legal matters as required
- As a member of the Legal group reporting to the Vice President, U.S. Real Estate,
- Administration of leases and subleases.
- Supervise one Senior Law Clerk.
- Advising the Company and senior management on a broad range of provincial and federal regulatory and compliance matters, including identifying areas of risk and making suggestions for improvements
- Managing outside counsel and developing strategy for litigation and regulatory proceedings
- Developing an in-house organization of legal professionals to provide legal assistance to the Company
- Researching and analyzing the law on complex issues
- Analyzing and summarizing complicated legal documents, including contracts; making suggestions for alterations of those documents
- Negotiating with outside parties on contractual issues and legal disputes, including settlement conferences
- Negotiating and drafting contracts
- Anticipating and mitigating potential legal problems within the organization and developing strategies to avoid costly litigation and reduce potential areas of risk
What will you need to succeed?
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada
- 5 years of experience practicing commercial leasing in either private practice or in-house
- Experience in franchise law is strongly preferred
- Experience with privacy legislation, marketing, purchasing, litigation management and other areas related to the retail industry would be an asset
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and ethical decision-making with a minimal amount of supervision
- Flexible and open to constant change and ability to work under pressure with strong attention to detail, effectively multi-talk and adherence to competing deadlines
- Effective verbal and written English communication skills essential
We thank all candidates however only those selected will be contacted.