Paralegal, Legal Services
- Job Type
- Temporary, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Certificate from community college
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Reporting to the legal counsel, the paralegal supports the legal department and its functions in accordance with the requirements of the Health Professions Act, College Bylaws and College policies and procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- assist with the investigation and management of complaint files, including the preparation of matters for presentation to the Inquiry Committee of the College
- assist with the preparation of matters for presentation to the Registration Committee of the College
- attend committee meetings and physician interviews to record minutes
- prepare first drafts of minutes, legal correspondence, resolutions, undertakings, reprimands, and consent agreements for review by legal counsel
- assist with the coordination and implementation of bylaw amendments, including drafting Board resolutions and liaising with the College’s registrar, communications and public affairs department, other College departments, and the Ministry of Health
- liaise with physicians, legal counsel, and the Canadian Medical Protective Association regarding civil actions involving registrants of the College
- conduct investigations into the character and repute of registrants and applicants for registration, and the location and recovery of abandoned records
- involvement in the preparation, processing and exchanging of information on highly sensitive, privileged and confidential matters with third parties
- coordinate and schedule legal department and other internal meetings
- assist with the development and implementation of policies, procedures and work standards
- provide ongoing maintenance of legal precedents and procedure manuals to achieve and enhance consistency and efficiency
- perform other such duties, functions and responsibilities as assigned by the legal counsel and the chief legal counsel
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Required skills and qualifications include the following:
- paralegal certificate or diploma preferred, with a minimum five years of work experience in a legal environment at a paralegal level
- solid working knowledge of administrative law principles and procedural fairness
- excellent written and oral communication skills, including legal drafting, editing and proofreading
- proficient at internet research and legal research databases
- proven interviewing skills
- critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- ability to record minutes of meetings
- ability to work with discretion in preparing and handling sensitive information, with attention to detail
- ability to perform multiple tasks, balance continuous demands and priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- ability to organize and set work priorities
- ability to take direction and work both independently and as a team member
- ability to demonstrate strong work ethic and initiative in a team environment
- maintain professional demeanour while communicating with internal and external parties
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia has been recognized as one of BC’s top employers since 2011 and one of Canada’s top 100 employers since 2014. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees. We offer an excellent working environment, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Click here to download the position description.
How To Apply
All applications for this position must be submitted via this page.
Please read through all of the questions; you may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document before you start filling out the fields below.
To begin the application process, complete the questions below. You will have the opportunity to attach your resume and other documents on the next page. Note: You must submit your resume online. Ensure you have your resume ready to attach.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.