Legal Counsel (Commercial/Real-estate)
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Commercial Real Estate Law
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional Degree - LL.B or B.C.L
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
The Legal Counsel provides advice on legal matters as they relate to real estate transactions, commercial, human resource and construction issues. The incumbent advises the shareholders and senior management of legal requirements related to the company's day-to-day business activities.
- Draft and review legal documents including leases, offers to lease, offers to purchase, agreements of purchase and sale, lease renewals, lease amendments and other contracts;
- Provide legal advice for all real-estate and commercial transactions, contracts and on other matters;
- Provide legal support to the leasing staff;
- Negotiate commercial leases, offers to purchase and other contracts;
- Provide legal service to other departments, such as Human Resources and Construction;
- Manage settlements of litigious files and ensure the effective use of the services of external counsel;
- Streamline legal services to make them cost-effective;
- Collaborate and participate in the development, implementation and enforcement of cohesive internal procedures.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in real-estate law, including commercial leases and real-estate acquisitions and financing;
- Possess a sound legal knowledge and the ability to complete negotiations in an effective and timely fashion;
- Experience with financing and partnership agreements, an asset;
- Strong negotiation skills;
- Strong sense of priorities;
- Displays rigor;
- Bilingual, both oral and written.