- Allstate Canada
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Insurance Law, Personal Injury Law, Litigation
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Reporting to the Director, Claims Litigation and working out of our Calgary Claims office, as Litigation Counsel, you will represent Allstate Insurance Company of Canada as well as Pembridge Insurance Company and our insureds in the defence of tort matters.
• Handle all aspects of the litigation from initial referral to file closure;
• Provide assessment, opinion, legal research on claim files;
• Conduct questionings, mediations, motions, appeals, pre-trials, trials, case conferences, to the extent required on each file;
• Experience and ability to draft pleadings, draft motion materials and attend motions court, attend questionings, draft mediation memorandums, attend mediations, set matters down for trial, draft pre-trial conference memorandums, attend pre-trial conferences, and settle claims;
• Provide mentorship and guidance as required;
• Present to claims staff and claims partners on a variety of topics related to the insurance defence field; and,
• Other tasks as required.
Qualifications & Education:
• 8-10 years of practice in personal injury law preferably with Plaintiff and/or Defence litigation experience is preferred;
• Membership of the Law Society of Alberta in good standing is required;
• Trial and/or arbitration/hearing experience would be considered an asset;
• Ability to demonstrate sound judgement, a keen eye for detail and tenacity for solving complex problems;
• Analytical skills utilizing their knowledge of the law for sound decision-making;
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
• Ability to service clients in and around the Province of Alberta;
• Excellent oral and written advocacy skills;
• Exceptional client management skills.
Allstate Canada Group has policies and practices that provide workplace accommodations. If you require accommodation please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Allstate Insurance Company of Canada is one of the country's leading producers and distributors of home and auto insurance products, serving Canadians since 1953. The company strives to keep its customers in "Good Hands®" as well as its employees, and is proud to be named a Best Employer in Canada for the sixth consecutive year. Allstate Canada is committed to making a positive difference in the communities in which it operates and has partnered with organizations such as MADD Canada, United Way and Junior Achievement. To learn more about Allstate Canada, visit www.allstate.ca. For safety tips and advice, visit www.goodhandsadvice.ca.
We’re proud to have made Aon Hewitt’s 2018 list of the
Best Employers in Canada!