Junior or Intermediate Immigration Legal Assistant
Sedai Law Office is a boutique immigration law firm in Surrey, BC.
We are a progressive firm serving a wide variety of clients, a large minority of whom are LGBTQ. You would be working in an environment of 5 lawyers and 3-5 support staff who will depend heavily on you.
This position has career growth potential: legal assistant, senior legal assistant, junior paralegal, paralegal, senior paralegal.
APPLICATION METHOD & TEST
- Please apply with a cover letter explaining how your skills and characteristics can contribute to the team's success, and indicating your long term goals.
- Only persons selected for interview will be contacted. The interview consists of 1) writing and office/computer skills test and 2) traditional oral interview if you pass the test.
- Excellent proofreading, spelling, grammar, punctuation, and writing. This is crucial to the position and you will be tested at interview.
- Post-secondary education.
- One year of office experience.
- Familiarity with Trust accounts and PCLaw strongly preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Suite, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Capacity to perform unusually detailed and precision work
- Have a “can-do” attitude, willing to identify tasks that have not been assigned, anticipate subsequent steps to tasks, and ensure completion.
- Tolerate deadlines and fast-paced work well.
- All offers of employment are conditional upon the satisfactory verification of an RCMP criminal record check. Satisfactory verification variables are solely the discretion of the employer.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Draft immigration and citizenship applications, including completing paper and electronic forms, statutory declarations, and submission letters.
- Communicate with clients to gather information and documentation required to prepare applications
- Perform clerical duties, such as word processing, form filling, scanning and photocopying, and precise electronic document labelling and filing.
- Strictly maintain calendaring of deadlines, important dates, and BF system
- Constructively train staff
- Undertake ongoing hard and soft skills training, as directed
- Enter time in PCLaw
- Maintain positive client, co-worker, and third-party relations
- Maintain confidentiality
- Learn and take over other assistants’ duties if they are unavailable (e.g., reception, invoicing, etc.)
Remuneration and benefits:
- This is a junior position, so we expect to train you.
- Medical and dental plan after six months
- Ongoing hard and soft skills training
- Salary range entry level $16-$20/hour, depending on experience.
Hours and Location:
- ***Permanent position***. Please do not apply if you are looking for a part time job or do not wish to be with us for many years to come.
- 30-40 hours per week
- Occasional overtime possible but limited
- Workplace location a half block from Guildford transit exchange: Suite 403 – 15225 104 Avenue, Surrey, BC V3R 6Y8
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $16.00 to $20.00 /hour
Experience: Office Administration: 1 year (Required)
Education: AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (Required)
Location: Surrey, BC (Preferred)
- well and have excellent grammar skills (you will be tested) (Required)