Junior or Intermediate Clerk (Office/Reception/Invoice Clerk)
Sedai Law Office is a boutique immigration law firm in Surrey, BC. We are a progressive firm serving a wide variety of clients, a large minority of whom are LGBTQ. You would be working in an environment of 5 lawyers and 3-5 support staff who will depend heavily on you.
This position has the potential to develop into the office manager position, depending on performance.
APPLICATION METHOD & TEST
- Please apply with a cover letter explaining how your skills and characteristics can contribute to the team's success, and indicating your long term goals.
- Only persons selected for interview will be contacted. The interview consists of 1) writing and office/computer skills test and 2) traditional oral interview if you pass the test.
- Excellent proofreading, spelling, grammar, and writing. This is crucial to the position and you will be tested at the interview.
- Post-secondary education required.
- Minimum one year of invoice clerk/junior bookkeeping experience required.
- Familiarity with Trust accounts and PCLaw strongly preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Suite, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Have a “can-do” attitude, willing to identify tasks that have not been assigned, anticipate subsequent steps to tasks, and ensure completion.
- Tolerate deadlines and fast-paced work well.
- Capacity to perform unusually detailed and precision work, including high quality document formatting.
- All offers of employment are conditional upon the satisfactory verification of an RCMP criminal record check. Satisfactory verification variables are solely the discretion of the employer.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Respond to telephone, email, and in-person enquiries and arrange consultations
- Perform clerical duties, such as mail processing, word processing, form filling, scanning and photocopying, and precise electronic document labelling and filing.
- Strictly maintain calendaring of general office deadlines, important dates, and BF system
- Track and order office supplies, maintain budget
- Organize office social events, maintain budget
- Attend at bank (e.g. submit deposits and obtain bank drafts)
- Prepare pre-bills and invoices and process payments
- PCLaw Trust and General entries, including opening matters, fee entries, receipts, payments, recurring entries, print cheques, print reports, deactivate matters
- Undertake ongoing hard and soft skills training, as directed
- Maintain positive client, co-worker, and third-party relations
- Maintain confidentiality
- Learn and take over other assistants’ duties if they are unavailable (e.g., basic legal assistant tasks)
Remuneration and benefits:
- We will train if experience limited
- Medical and dental plan
- Ongoing hard and soft skills training
- Salary range entry level $16-$20/hour, depending on experience.
Hours and Location:
- Permanent position. Please do not apply if you are seeking a short term position only.
- 30-40 hours per week
- Occasional overtime possible but limited
- Location: Suite 403 – 15225 104 Avenue, Surrey, BC V3R 6Y8
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $16.00 to $20.00 /hour
- office: 1 year (Preferred)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (Required)
- Surrey, BC (Preferred)