Corporate Counsel, Legal
- Advanced Micro Devices, Inc (AMD)
- Markham, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Business Law, Intellectual Property Law
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
What you do at AMD changes everything
At AMD, we push the boundaries of what is possible. We believe in changing the world for the better by driving innovation in high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies – building blocks for gaming, immersive platforms, and the data center.
Developing great technology takes more than talent: it takes amazing people who understand collaboration, respect, and who will go the “extra mile” to achieve unthinkable results. It takes people who have the passion and desire to disrupt the status quo, push boundaries, deliver innovation, and change the world. If you have this type of passion, we invite you to take a look at the opportunities available to come join our team.
AMD is seeking corporate counsel to join its legal team in Markham, Ontario, specifically to provide legal support to AMD's Global Operations, Procurement, and IT Groups. To be successful in this position, You must:
- Have 3 – 5 years of in-house or private practice experience: (i) providing legal counsel to clients on intellectual property and business issues, (ii) drafting and negotiating major business and technology agreements, and (iii) partnering with clients to develop internal processes to help manage legal risk;
- Have a J.D. or LL.B. from an accredited law school in Canada or the United States;
- Be a member in good standing of a provincial or state bar;
- Be flexible and willing to assume new or different responsibilities as the needs of the client evolve; and
- Be comfortable working remotely with clients, colleagues and business partners in the US, Europe, and Asia, recognizing that this may result in occasional meetings in the late evening or early morning.
You will have responsibility for handling a variety of commercial matters and must possess strong commercial contract negotiation and drafting skills related to the following types of agreements:
- General Service
- Enterprise License
- Software License, Maintenance and Service Level
- Electronic Design Automation
- Professional Services
- Data Security
- Data Privacy
- Joint Development
- IP License (Inbound and Outbound)
You will work as part of a larger corporate team, including Operations, IT, Finance and other groups, to support transactions. You will also be expected to work closely with outside counsel, as well as AMD’s other lawyers and paralegals.
Occasionally, you may need to travel internationally to meet with clients.
Experience with the high-tech/semiconductor sector is an advantage. Proficiency with Microsoft Word is essential, and familiarity with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint is recommended.