As a contributing member of Aviva Trial Lawyers, provides research and litigation support to counsel to ensure efficient file handling and functioning of the firm’s practice.
- Researches the law applicable to assigned matters, and drafts legal memoranda regarding salient legal issues for counsel.
- Prepares legal documents, pleadings, motions, and legal factums on straightforward legal matters for review by counsel (including motion records, statements of defence and affidavits of documents).
- Contributes to the handling of straightforward litigation or other legal matters designated for settlement or resolution, in compliance with:
- Professional standards governing lawyers;
- Civil court procedural rules; and,
- Aviva Trial Lawyer strategies, processes and standards.
- Assists with examinations and hearings; drafts arguments for mediations, arbitrations, hearings, settlement negotiations, pre-trials and trials.
- At the request of counsel, supports the day to day carriage of smaller litigation files
- Consistent, optimal productivity and performance of assigned legal matters – individual and Practice Group.
- Demonstrated, consistent contribution to driving Aviva’s Claims strategies.
- Straightforward matters designated for small claims trials are prepared for trial-readiness or proceed to trial.
- Reputation of Aviva Trial Lawyers as a preferred alternative over external law firms.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Juris Doctor (JD) candidate
- Proficiency in Quicklaw, Westlaw and other internet/email applications.
- Ability to work in a time sensitive, fast-paced team environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, paired with the ability to work independently.
- High degree of professionalism.
- Understanding of Canadian legal processes.
- Knowledge of current insurance law issues.
- Creative solutioning, and strong dispute resolution skills.
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills.
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail, and the ability to process information quickly and accurately.
Aviva Canada is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities during all phases of the hiring process including the application process. If you require an accommodation because of a disability, we will work with you to meet your needs. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. If you are selected for an interview and require an accommodation, you are encouraged to advise the Talent Acquisition Partner who will consult with you to determine an appropriate accommodatio
Similar searches: Articling Student