- Aurora, ON
- Legal Assistant
- Area of Practice
- Personal Injury Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- College diploma
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Desjardins Group is the largest cooperative financial group in Canada, and one of the largest employers in the country. It offers a full range of financial products and services and is home to a wealth of expertise in property and casualty insurance, life and health insurance, wealth management, services for businesses of all sizes, securities brokerage, asset management, venture capital, and secure, leading-edge virtual access methods.
As a legal affairs technician, you help protect the organization’s legal interests by providing technical support to make sure that its rights are protected and obligations are met. You may be responsible for one or more sub-specialties, such as contested matters and the Office of the Corporate Secretary (ethics and professional conduct, official registries, meeting minutes, the general meeting, etc.).
You provide discipline-specific technical support and help your unit carry out its activities, initiatives and processes in accordance with established policies and procedures. You support your unit’s more experienced employees and assist with technical work and analysis involving processes, information management and data processing. The ability to tailor your approach as needed and make sound decisions is therefore essential.
- Provide confidential administrative support to Legal Counsel.
- Aid Legal Counsel to manage his or her time (i.e. diary, scheduling appointments, preparing and following-up on meetings or cases, and writing up of reports).
- Use computer tools, complete various tasks connected with writing, revising, updating and producing documents and/or reports.
- Receive, filter and refer telephone calls.
- Open, sort and distribute mail and/or email.
- Transcribe and compile (from dictated and/or written material) memos, court and arbitration pleadings, reports and correspondence for Legal Counsel.
- Arrange appointments pertaining to meetings, mediations, LAT Arbitrations and examinations for discovery and other file related events.
- Brief and organize Accident Benefits and Tort Claims Files.
- Brief and organize file material including medical records.
- Compile affidavits of documents and assist in preparing matters for trials or arbitrations.
- Assume additional duties for department as required (i.e. workload redistribution).
Other working condition
- Number of job available : 1
- General college diploma
- Minimum 1 to 3 years relevant working experience is required with relevant Bodily Injury or Accident Benefits experience
Please note that other combinations of qualifications and relevant experience may be considered
- For vacant positions available in Quebec, please note that knowledge of French is required
Superior and accurate keyboarding skills of 40 wpm , knowledge of Rules of Civil Procedure is required, knowledge of dictation (an asset), proficient computer skills (MS Office (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook), PDF converter program(s), an advanced level of English (both verbal and written) is required
Desjardins Cross-sector skills
Accountability, Collaborates, Customer Focus, Innovation
Key competencies for the job
Decision quality, Situational adaptability