Brookfield Asset Management Inc. (“Brookfield”) is a global alternative asset manager with approximately $330 billion in assets under management. Brookfield has over a 100-year history of owning and operating assets with a focus on property, renewable power, infrastructure and private equity. Brookfield offers a range of public and private investment products and services, which leverage their expertise and experience and provide a distinct competitive advantage in the markets in which they operate. Brookfield is co-listed on the New York and Toronto Stock Exchanges under the symbols BAM and BAM.A, respectively, and on the NYSE Euronext under the symbol BAMA. For more information, please visit our web site at www.brookfield.com.
Reporting to the Vice President, Legal & Regulatory of Brookfield (“VP”), the Law Clerk & Legal Coordinator will be part of a small and busy legal team working on special projects and internal legal and corporate secretarial matters within Brookfield’s corporate group, including those related to maintaining the organizational structure of Brookfield. The Law Clerk & Legal Coordinator will assist with initiatives at Brookfield’s private subsidiaries and certain of its public holding company subsidiaries, including an Exempt Market Dealer. The Law Clerk & Legal Coordinator will also work closely with other functions within Brookfield’s corporate group to execute on internal special projects and initiatives.
The specific responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Support VP with enterprise-wide strategic and operational projects (i.e. FATCA, Insider Reporting, Intellectual Property, firm-wide policy maintenance and updates and other regulatory changes)
- Create and modify PowerPoint presentations (i.e. Marketing Materials, Investor Relations documents.) including formatting of charts, graphs and images. Attention to formatting, design and a critical eye are required.
- Draft and/or review legal documents and resolutions (for U.S. and Canada companies) to support acquisitions, dispositions, financings, and corporate and tax restructuring matters; liaise with internal legal counsel and outside counsel and Brookfield tax groups; prepare officer certificates and notarial certificates
- Assist in coordinating due-diligence requests and documentation
- Assist in preparing public company Board and Committee meeting materials, including the preparation of notices, agendas and resolutions, distribute meeting materials, prepare minutes, etc.
- Create, format and maintain detailed Excel reports and Word documents utilizing advanced technical skills
- Formation and dissolution of entities
- Maintain minute books and corporate entity database from formation through to dissolution
- Corporate annual report /return filings in Canada and U.S. and drafting minutes/resolutions for private companies
- Foreign U.S. qualifications and Canadian extra-provincial registrations
- Perform various corporate searches and perform various corporate on-line registrations
- Perform Canadian securities regulatory filings for public companies on SEDAR, EDGAR and TSX
- Assist with compliance and regulatory filings
- Assist treasury team with bank account opening and KYC requests and requirements
Skills & Qualifications:
- Diploma from a recognized Ontario Law Clerk program certified with The Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario (or qualifying legal experience with an outstanding performance record)
- At least 3-5 years of experience as a corporate law clerk working in a law firm or in-house legal department of a large public company
- Strong knowledge and experience with SEDI, SEDAR, EDGAR and TSX filings
- Strong communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills
- Strong computer-related skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio and corporate legal records software/database
- Familiarity with various Canadian and provincial corporate registry on-line and paper filings and searches and U.S. Secretary of State business entity searches and filings
- Ability to provide timely and accurate responses to inquiries from outside counsel, internal legal counsel, tax departments, draft correspondence, and miscellaneous administrative duties and record-keeping
- Strong ability to work well under pressure, handle multiple tasks, function with minimal supervision, and prioritize workload
- Excellent interpersonal skills for working with a wide range of constituencies in a polite and professional manner
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Experience with Concur, Salesforce and BluePrint is a plus