Deputy City Clerk & Manager, Administrative Services
- City of Vaughan
- Vaughan, ON
- $118,709.00 - $141,319.00/Year
- Law Clerk, Lawyer - Other, Paralegal
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- University degree
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Vaughan is a city on the move. With a downtown core rising from the ground, a state-of-the-art hospital under construction and a bustling subway, these exciting projects are transforming the community. Be part of something amazing and build your career at the City of Vaughan.
As one of the fastest growing municipalities in Canada, we are committed to providing a thriving work environment, excellent benefits, learning and growth opportunities and a place where collaboration and teamwork is fostered. Excellence demands brilliant personalities, visionary thinking and a passion for public service. Vaughan is your place to grow
Responsible for the management, co-ordination and supervision of the City Clerk’s department including Council Secretariat Services and Office Services. Performs statutory duties under the Vital Statistics Act. Performs the duties of Deputy Issuer of Marriage Licences under the Marriage Act. Organizes and administers all facets of the Municipal Election every four years, under the direction of the City Clerk. Performs the corporate and statutory duties of the City Clerk in his/her absence.
• Organizes and administers, every four (4) years, under the direction of the City Clerk, all facets of the Municipal Election including the hiring and training of election staff, placement of advertising and securing polling and other facilities.
• Manages and co-ordinates the activities/services of the Clerk’s department including Council Secretariat Services and Office Services, municipal election function and performs statutory duties under the Vital Statistics Act and performs the duties of Deputy Issuer of Marriage Licences under the Marriage Act.
• Attends Council, Council Public hearings, Committee of the Whole, Court of Revision, court and public meetings for the purpose of providing information and advice.
• Investigates and responds to Members of Council/ratepayer enquiries and complaints as required and prepares detailed reports or analytical data as required.
• Assesses staffing needs, participates in the recruitment process and makes recommendations concerning selection of staff.
• Conducts research and prepares associated reports for Council and senior staff; conducts special projects as assigned by City Clerk. Co-ordinates the registration of ratepayer associations in adherence to the City’s policy, co-ordinates delivery of agendas and minutes as requested by the associations, updates annually the information of the association responses received; compiles a ratepayer association list for circulation to departments.
• Coordinates and prepares the Department’s annual operating and capital budgets and monitors expenditures and revenues to ensure accurate accounting.
• Executes statutory duties of Deputy Division Registrar under the Vital Statistics Act including the issuance of death certificates; ensuring that accurate birth and death records for the municipality are maintained. Performs the duties of Deputy Issuer of Marriage Licences under the Marriage Act.
Qualifications and Experience
• University Degree in Public Administration or Business or suitable equivalent.
• Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks & Treasurers of Ontario designation.
• Minimum of five (5) years progressively more responsible municipal experience in a unionized environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong presentation skills combined with proven organizational abilities.
• Good analytical, negotiating and problem solving skills.
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.