Senior Counsel - Construction Law
- York Region
- Newmarket, ON
- $146,706 - $172,595
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Construction Law
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 10+ years
Progressive. Collaborative. Accountable. Draw on your passion. Shape our community. Progressive and collaborative, with a clear, long-term vision. We value employees’ contributions and inspire excellence. We are driven by a desire to help shape and serve the growing community in which we live and work.
Reporting to the Deputy Regional Solicitor, is responsible for providing legal advice to Regional Council, departments, boards and related entities relating to various construction projects and related corporate programs and initiatives. Your duties will primarily involve negotiating, drafting, reviewing and interpreting infrastructure contracts and related procurement documents. You will also be responsible for supervising a staff team of construction lawyers, law clerks and assistants.
• Successful completion of a University Degree in Law (L.L.B.) or Juris Doctor Degree (J.D.).
• Membership in good standing as a Lawyer in the Law Society of Upper Canada.
• Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience providing a broad range of legal services in the area of Construction Law with experience managing staff.
• Experience in Procurement Law is highly advantageous.
• Expert knowledge of legislation, guidelines, procedures, standards applicable to the practice area and a complete understanding of the Regional governmental structure.
• Knowledge of current developments in the law and their application to Regional responsibilities, with a particular expertise in Construction Law.
• Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer service, communication, team work, initiative/self-management, leadership/management, accountability, and flexibility/self-management.
• Management competencies including results/achievement focus, human resources management, leadership, financial management, business planning, decision making/judgement, representation and professionalism and job knowledge.
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of financial budget and business planning processes.
• Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in strategic planning, change management design, process and implementation strategies to optimize both quality and cost-effectiveness of delivery of its areas of business.
• Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software and internet applications.
• Proven analytical and decision making skills.
• Ability to exercise appropriate judgement and discretion in dealing with privileged or controversial matters.
• Demonstrated political acumen and ability to negotiate, facilitate, mediate, and present information to a varied audience.
• Proven managerial ability including program implementation, and human resource management within a unionized environment.
• Ability to work outside regular business hours as required.
How to Apply
Please apply on-line by January 30 2019, quoting competition #23341. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted via email or by telephone.
$146,706 - $172,595 annually. This is a Non-Union position.