Purdue Pharma (Canada) is investing in its pipeline which will become increasingly diversified, with multiple new products being added to the company’s portfolio over the coming years. Our portfolio diversification strategy is gaining momentum and the strong foundation we have built over the last over 60 years in Canada allows us to confidently forge ahead with bold plans for the next 60 years.
You have an opportunity to play a key role in this transformation strategy as our:
Legal & Compliance Counsel
Reporting to the Vice President, Legal, this role will provide legal support and advice on a broad range of matters relevant to the pharmaceutical industry, including product development, intellectual property, commercial agreements, licensing and compliance. You will work within a collegial and collaborative legal team and contribute to the transformation of Purdue’s business and product portfolio by providing legal insights and support in the acquisition of products and technologies across therapeutic and disease areas of interest. You have a practical business-minded approach to the practice of law and have the ability to manage a number of competing priorities. You thrive in a fast paced and dynamic environment. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is seeking a leadership role with the ability to contribute at a high level within a collaborative culture.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Draft/review/negotiate agreements governing a variety of important engagements with external parties (eg. clinical trial sites, customers, vendors, etc.).
- Support significant transactional activities (eg. IP licensing, acquisitions), with a particular emphasis on international business development deals, from the due diligence phase to the negotiation and drafting of a definitive agreement.
- Provide leadership, advice and technical guidance with respect to compliance with the various laws, rules, regulations, codes and guidelines that govern the pharmaceutical industry (eg. Innovative Medicines Canada Code of Ethical Practices, PAAB Code of Advertising Acceptance, etc.).
- Anticipate and assess risks (in both the internal and external environments); develop and administer corresponding policies and control processes.
- Provide interpretation and analysis of compliance related matters; participate in preparation for annual internal audit events; and manage compliance investigations, as required.
- Assist with and advise on all other legal matters including those relating to marketing, business development, alliance management, market access, communications and life cycle management.
- Assist in managing litigation, as and when required, particularly proceedings commenced pursuant to the PM(NOC) regulations.
- Manage and work collaboratively with external counsel.
- Undergraduate and law degree
- Admitted to the bar in Ontario
- Member of the Law Society of Ontario
- 4-6 years of experience, preferably in the life sciences sector, within a law firm and/or in-house
- Pharmaceutical sciences experience is highly preferred
- Experience in business and product acquisitions and intellectual property licensing
- Capable of leading contract negotiations
- Personable and able to build good working relationships with colleagues at all levels
- Strong influencing skills: the individual should have a collaborative working style, be diplomatic and an effective communicator
- A self-starter, with the drive to achieve goals and a willingness to be accountable
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Excellent drafting skills and proficiency in the development, documentation and communication of analytical plans
- Experience in understanding business needs, incorporating understanding into deliverables, and ensuring recommendations/results are implemented
Purdue Pharma is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Purdue Pharma will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.