Legal Counsel, Legal & Regulatory Affairs - 14 Month Contract
Reporting to the Director & Senior Legal Counsel, assists with the provision of effective legal services, advice and representation for legal issues, litigation matters and contract reviews for all of Samsung Canada. Supports the analysis of statues, corporate governance documents, and corporate policies and procedures, assists with litigation files and management of internal systems.
Role and Responsibilities
- Drafting of policies, manuals and processes
- Manage, evaluate and track small claims court litigation matters, specifically from Quebec, file the required court documents to defend or settle the claim, negotiate with customers as needed, coordinate with members of Service Division as required and assist with ad hoc French translation as required
- Assist with processes and systems such as ECMS (Electronic Contract Management System) and AD LCP (Advertising Legal Compliance Protocol) and work towards policy and process improvements, standardization and simplification
- Assist with contract review, analysis and negotiation including but not limited to NDAs, MSAs, SOWs, Reseller Agreements, Distribution Agreements, etc.
- Assist with marketing creative review
- Assist with compliance investigations as required
- Deliver compliance training and department training and create training content as required
- Assist with representations on trade associations such as ITAC or CWTA (examples only)
- Assist with additional presentations and training
- Assist with HR/privacy matters as required
- Assist with any work required by Samsung Canada subsidiaries
- Review and draft contract templates with a goal towards standardization and simplification
- Assist with investigations as necessary
- Draft weekly updates to HQ and NAHQ for both Legal updates and GR updates
- Develop policy positions, both inside SECA and with the associations
- Engage in sensing of proposed legislation, guidelines and policies and the consumer electronics industry with a goal of advising the Legal Team and disseminating the information to particular business divisions; creating ad hoc bulletins as required
- Conduct legal research of laws, rules and regulations, case law and policy as required
- Assist with governmental filings ex. Health Canada
- Assist with compiling Affidavits, documentation and evidence in connection with litigation and corporate files
- Assist with records-retention including but not limited to enforcement and ensuring that records are properly maintained and destroyed as required
- Engage in time-sensitive, time-intensive and long-term projects as required
Skills and Qualifications
- Law degree from a recognized Canadian Law school.
Solid legal training in corporate/commercial law, gained in another major company or major law firm
- Retail sector experience in either a law firm or a corporate setting coupled with 1-3 years of experience
- French language skills preferred
- Some travel involved on occasion
- Called to the Ontario Bar, member in good standing of the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Professional, proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented, excellent people and communications skills and a strong work ethic.
Samsung is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Samsung has an accommodation process in place and provides accommodations for job applicants with disabilities as appropriate. Assessment and selection materials and procedures can be made available in accessible formats and methods as appropriate. If you require a specific accommodation because of disability or medical need, please let us know when selected to take part in our recruitment process so that reasonable arrangements can be made for the appropriate accommodations to be in place as you move through our process.
We thank you for your interest in working for Samsung. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.