- Vaughan, ON
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Real Estate Law, Commercial Real Estate Law
- Job Type
- Full time
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Recipe Unlimited Corporation (formerly Cara Operations Limited) is Canada’s leading full service restaurant company. Home to such iconic brands as Swiss Chalet, Harvey’s, Montana’s, Kelsey’s, Milestones, Pubs, Bier Markt, East Side Mario’s, Landing Group, New York Fries, St-Hubert, State and Main, Elephant and Castle and Original Joe’s. With this diverse portfolio of restaurants our Home Office Associates have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of some of the most popular, well-loved brands in Canada. Variety isn’t the only thing we offer – along with competitive compensation, we operate in a fast paced and energetic environment where effective team work and self-motivation to work independently are harmonious traits.
Recipe Unlimited Corporation/CARA Operations Limited is actively searching for a Manager, Legal Real Estate to join our team!
As the ideal candidate, you will be responsible for preparing and negotiating leases, lease amending agreements and other ancillary documents. You will also provide interpretations of lease provisions and advice with respect to the practical application of lease provisions. You will interact with landlords, external legal counsel and other Cara associates.
As the ideal candidate, your responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Draft and negotiate, through to completion, commercial retail leases, lease amending agreements, termination agreements and other ancillary real estate documents including leading negotiations with landlords and/or external counsel
- Manage the deal process, from receipt of “RFLS” (request for legal services) through to completion with a view to managing strict timelines and competing priorities
- Provide potential solutions to internal associates including Real Estate & Development, Construction and other Cara restaurant brand associates with respect to contentious issues, assist in assessing business risks and make decisions affecting Cara’s business
- Interpreting lease language, and practically applying those interpretations to assist in assessing business risks and make decisions affecting Cara’s business and franchisees
- Provide analysis of legal documents for existing locations to assist in the renewal, subleasing and disposition processes
- Managing multiple internal and external stakeholders including managing competing priorities in the face of a high volume of transactions
- Work with the Vice-President, Real Estate and Vice-President, General Counsel in various special projects
- Balancing Cara’s requirements with the interests of franchisees
- Mentor the Coordinator, Legal Real Estate with a view to improving their knowledge base to allow for increased responsibilities
- Manage databases/trackers to record progress of deal to completion
As the ideal candidate, you will offer:
- Minimum of 5 - 10 years prior experience in negotiating, drafting and interpreting a wide variety of real estate documentation including commercial/retail leases and related agreements, with preference for tenant-related commercial and/or retail experience
- Ability to work independently and efficiently with minimal supervision
- Advanced negotiation skills
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, Access and Outlook
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity please apply online today!
As part of our accessibility commitment, there are alternative ways to interview with us. Please inform us if you require interview accommodation.
Please note that any offer of employment may be subject to reference checks and background checks, including a criminal record check as part of the selection process