Strategic Claims Counsel
- Wawanesa Insurance
- Edmonton, AB
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Insurance Law, Litigation
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
Wawanesa Insurance is a policyholder owned mutual insurance company that offers employees great stability and opportunity for growth.
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience, advancement on a growing team.
STRATEGIC CLAIMS COUNSEL
If you are interested in playing a key role in developing a comprehensive enterprise claims legal strategy for one of Canada’s largest mutual insurance companies, Wawanesa is a fit for you! We are currently adding to our Claims Excellence team, and are looking for a few Strategic Claims Counsel to join our growing team.
The Strategic Claims Counsel acts as a front line legal resource and center of excellence to assist our regional claims operations in proactive and efficient management and resolution of all property and casualty claims. This role will assist in planning, directing and implementing strategies and initiatives related to improving our claims resolution performance and outcomes for our policyholders.
We are open to candidates in Edmonton, Calgary and/or Toronto.
- Maintains an in-depth knowledge of regional legal developments (case law or statutory/regulatory changes), and proactively identifies opportunities to centralize access and dissemination of legal knowledge throughout claims operations to ensure ongoing best practices and outcomes in assessing, handling, and resolving claims
- Assists with development and implementation of internal policies, guidelines, or training resources with respect to claims operations
- Provides training and guidance on legal developments in the region and/or area of expertise, including best practices in negotiating, handling and resolving disputed/litigious claims
- Where necessary, communicates with external counsel and insureds to ensure prompt and fair resolution of files before they escalate to litigation
- Proactively monitors the regional claims legal environment and practices and reports key trends and issues, as well as potential solutions where possible
- Performs other duties as assigned
- 3 years or more of insurance defense litigation experience, including independently managing insurance defense files through their entire life cycle with a proven track record of success
- Juris Doctorate or Bachelor of Laws degree and member in good standing of the bar in Ontario or Alberta
- Strong knowledge of insurance law and practice, particularly in the fields of bodily injury, accident benefits, and property claims
- Strong legal research skills and proficiency with digital legal research resources
- Strong MS Office skills
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate in a concise, clear, timely and professional manner in person, as well as via telephone and written correspondence/email
- Strong organizational, priority-setting and multi-tasking skills, including the ability to adapt to significant change within a rapidly evolving organization and industry
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and gain respect, credibility and confidence from others
- Strong business acumen with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to recognize and identify critical issues and make well-reasoned and justified decisions in complex and high-pressure situations
- Position may require the ability to travel up to 10% of the time
- Experience handling subrogation matters and conducting examinations under oath will be considered an asset
Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company’s goals. Our employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, generous vacation allowance, leave top up, goal achievement plan, premium free benefits and a pension plan). Wawanesa provides a stable and rewarding environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
If you are interested in this exciting, challenging position with Wawanesa, please submit your resume and cover letter by clicking apply On-Line below.