VP Law Janssen Canada
- Johnson & Johnson Inc.
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 10+ years
The Law Department is recruiting for a management board attorney to support Janssen Canada, our pharmaceutical business located in Toronto. This attorney will be a member of the management team and Board of Directors of Janssen Inc., advise senior management on general legal matters, oversee our Janssen Canada legal team and be primarily responsible for the local legal team’s alignment with the strategic priorities and objectives of this business. This position is based in Toronto, Canada.
This attorney will be responsible for providing the management team and other cross-functional business partners with solutions-oriented strategic legal advice across all applicable areas of law on a wide range of proposed business initiatives, projects and materials to further the interests of the business, while protecting the company’s rights, interests and reputation.
As a member of the Janssen Canada management team, your main responsibilities would include:
- the efficient and effective management of all legal affairs for the Canadian business;
- alignment of legal resources to business priorities;
- keeping abreast of relevant legislative changes, translating the impact of such changes to the business and activating any change management required to ensure compliance with such changes;
- partnering with business clients, colleagues in the Johnson & Johnson Law Department globally and with external counsel to support business opportunities while ensuring compliance with applicable legislation, industry guidelines and internal policies; and
- representing Janssen’s interests before external stakeholders, such as industry trade associations and provincial and federal governmental entities.
In this role, you would lead the local legal team and are accountable for the team’s support of the local business and alignment with the J&J Law Department. You would be responsible for leading and developing a team of two lawyers and two legal support staff by demonstrating coaching, caring and inclusive behaviors on an ongoing basis, including having meaningful, candid conversations with all members of your team about their performance and career.
- J.D. or LL. B Degree from an accredited law school
- Admission to the Law Society of Ontario
- Complete fluency in English.
- Functional fluency (or greater) in French is considered an asset.
- 10+ years of demonstrated legal experience in either a firm or corporate environment.
- Ability to travel as may be required.
- Experience on a management team or business attorney for a commercial operating company or comparable business/legal experience.
- Comprehensive understanding of the innovative pharmaceutical industry and health care system in Canada, including, legal, compliance and regulatory issues.
- People management experience with a desire to inspire team members and develop talent.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, and an excellent track record of collaboration with colleagues.
Candidates should also possess the following skills and capabilities:
- Self-starter with a strong drive for results and a strong sense of ownership, but also a willingness to take direction.
- Business oriented with an ability to proactively engage with business colleagues to find practical solutions and partner with them to implement action plans that meet business objectives and contribute to compliant growth for the business.
- Sound judgment, business consultative skills and an ability to think in a structured way.
- Ability to work independently and effectively across all levels of a matrix organization.
- Superior communication skills.
- Flexible and can adjust and thrive in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to manage conflicts in an open and constructive manner.
- Able to set an example and ensure high ethical, legal and compliance standards.
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguity and ability to simplify complicated issues for clients.
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills. Prepared to speak up, present and actively participate in business and legal discussions.
- Good self-awareness, constructive mindset, eager to seek and receive feedback.
Similar searches: Lawyer - In House Counsel