Counsel - (Contract)
- BMO Financial Group
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Banking & Finance
- Job Type
- Contract, Full time
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize wide variety of matters simultaneously; maneuvers well to get things done; presents views and arguments well.
- Meets annual performance objectives
- Respected internally as a knowledgeable resource and trusted partner.
- Oversees and delivers legal advice from internal counsel and external counsel, ensures compliance with internal policies & procedures and providing advice/rulings as necessary, for one or multiple complex function(s)/activity(ies).
- Handles short and long term business needs. Responds to the sophisticated functional queries typically of a confidential and/or sensitive nature.
- Contributes knowledge and expertise for strategy and design of legal advice strategies and approaches for the unit activity.
- Exercises judgment on complex, and often ambiguous, situations. Typically expected to resolve most day-to-day issues and/or escalate with appropriate analysis and recommendation.
- Uses multiple perspectives, imagines alternatives, and addresses potential outcomes for various courses of action to devise strategy, make recommendations and minimize risk. Proactively identifies risks and potential problems and communicates appropriately to stakeholders.
- Oversees or drives the satisfactory resolution of complex or sensitive financial and/or non-financial issues.
- Reviews transactions and new products, structures and initiatives for all relevant business lines.
- Provides specialized legal and regulatory support for the work-stream generated by the relevant business areas supported.
- Keeps abreast of industry best practices and represents BMO with industry associations and external working groups.
- Minimum requirements are a degree in law (LLB or JD) and license to practice law in the Province of Ontario.
- 4+ years of experience.
- Technical/expert resource for business groups and other legal professionals. Requires knowledge and understanding of derivatives generally, and advanced knowledge and understanding in the following asset classes: equities, commodities and interest rates.
- Strong decision maker and above average negotiation skills
- Strong analytical capability and judgement as well as strong problem-solving skills and the ability to deal with ambiguity.
- Proactively provides ideas, advice and solutions to relevant legal and regulatory issues.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good relationship-building skills; able to relate at all levels.
- Ability to work independently, and with teams that have diverse skills, knowledge, and educational backgrounds.
- Results oriented, driven and self-motivated with a commitment to excellence.
- Strong research skills.
We’re here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.