- Thomson Reuters
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
An exciting opportunity exists to join Thomson Reuters as a lawyer based in Toronto. In this role you will contribute to the success and continued growth of the Canadian business across our Legal Professional, Tax Professional, Corporate and Government segments. The Legal Counsel role sits within the Thomson Reuters Legal Department, a highly collaborative team focused on enabling business growth and mitigating risk for the new customer-centric Thomson Reuters. To be successful in this role you should have the experience and capability to handle a broad range of legal, compliance and transactional matters including litigation and M&A.
- Support the Chief Counsel, Canada in identifying legal, regulatory and compliance requirements and risks associated with Canadian business initiatives, and developing and implementing appropriate mitigation strategies. Work with members of the Global Legal Department on enterprise-wide legal issues and projects.
- Operate within policy guidelines and requirements set for Thomson Reuters lawyers to ensure compliance and consistency.
- Review, draft, and negotiate a wide range of agreements with customers, vendors, resellers and other third parties, including data licenses, content acquisition agreements, software and intellectual property agreements and other complex commercial agreements
- Research and respond to general legal inquiries from internal clients that relate to corporate, litigation, intellectual property and compliance matters, including CASL and privacy-related matters, and advise business on appropriate legal action to be taken
- Provide practical and insightful business and strategic advice, leveraging experience in the practice of law and the legal profession
- Advise on legal issues related to the collection, usage, and licensing of content/data from multiple sources.
- Assist business with mergers and acquisitions, asset disposals, and joint ventures.
- Provide pre-litigation advice and supervise ongoing litigation.
- Coordinate legal matters handled by outside counsel.
- Contribute to and help lead the advancement of a customer-centric culture in Canada, including building relationships with the Canadian Legal community.
- Provide general legal support to all areas of Thomson Reuters businesses.
- Undertake other reasonable duties as requested
Mandatory Skills and Experience:
- 4+ years post qualification experience in private practice and/or as in-house corporate legal counsel; industry experience preferred
- Excellent negotiation and drafting skills. Excellent written/verbal communication skills. Ability to positively influence behavior of multiple stakeholders, as well as to be able to successfully balance the interests of the customer/vendor/partners while maintaining a good fiscal position for Thomson Reuters.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, to identify and resolve legal issues.
- Excellent communication, organisation, and analytical skills, and an aptitude for problem-solving
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, to identify and resolve legal issues, desire and ability to quickly learn about Thomson Reuters’ products and services, and its internal processes and organizational structure.
- Ability to successfully work in a team environment and in a matrixed organisation and ability to build rapport and trust with both internal and external stakeholders. Ability to juggle multiple matters at once and work independently in a fast-paced environment and prioritize accordingly. Ability to exercise good judgement on when to seek help and where to find appropriate resources to solve problems.
- Authorized to practice law in Ontario and competence/familiarity/proficiency in both Common and Civil Law traditions. Bilingual proficiency in English and French desirable.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With more than 25,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit thomsonreuters.com/careers.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
Similar searches: Lawyer - In House Counsel