Legal Manager - Short-term assignment (12 months)
- JTI-Macdonald Corp.
- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law, Compliance, Regulatory
- Job Type
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional Degree - LL.B or B.C.L
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
JTI-Macdonald Corp. is one of the oldest companies in Canada, tracing its origins to 1858 and part of a leading international tobacco company. As a member of Japan Tobacco Group of Companies we are the global owner of world-renowned brands including the number two cigarette brand in the world. We also manufacture other products in the vaping category and we are working in one of the most challenging industries of today’s FMCG landscape.
Headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, we employ over 40,000 people across the globe in 120 countries worldwide. We were recently awarded Global Top Employer for the fourth consecutive year with regional Top Employer Certification in Europe #1, Asia #1, North America #1, Africa #2 and Middle East #3. This is recognition of our outstanding talent strategy, energizing culture and commitment to learning and development.
What sets us apart is our passion for people, our culture of integrity and respect, our setting the bar high for performance, and our pursuit of continuous improvement in all that we do. These attributes create an environment that offer a wide range of global career development opportunities. For more information visit www.jti.com.
To act as an in-house lawyer providing legal services to all business units of JTI Canada (including market and GSC) on a variety of legal issues. The aim is to achieve corporate and commercial objectives in a manner that ensures compliance with the law and appropriate monitoring and management of legal risk. The Legal Manager assists his or her supervisor and other lawyers in the JTI Canada Legal team and is supervised by a Legal Director. On most matters, the incumbent will take direct responsibility and will be the point of contact with colleagues in various JTI business units including, on occasion, the Canada ExCom. The incumbent will also be responsible for liaising with external counsel as appropriate.
- Provide advice, draft and negotiate a range of agreements, to include reviewing and developing template documentation as may be required for repetitive use.
- Analyze legal risks in a wide range of matters related to commercial, regulatory and compliance law.
- Assume an advisory role in health, safety and environment matters.
- Provide legal advice on labour and employment law matters.
- Work collaboratively as part of the legal team and provide legal support to matters and/or JTI business functions as determined by the Head of Legal and/or Supervisor from time to time.
- Licensed Lawyer
- 2+ years within JTI
- English required, French preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
- Excellent decision-making and management skills
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment and collaborate with all members of the organization
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those invited for an interview will be contacted.