- University Health Network
- Lawyer - In House Counsel, Lawyer - Other, Paralegal
- Area of Practice
- Job Type
- Permanent, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 1-3 years
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Compliance Specialist in our Legal Department.
The Energy of the City. The Rewards of a Great Career.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a vision of achieving global impact through exemplary patient care, research and education, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada's largest research teaching hospital, brings together some of the world's top medical, research and clinical specialists. The University Health Network, frequently ranked among Canada's Top 100 Employers, represents the coming together of shared values and diverse expertise in patient care, research and education.
Each of our facilities-Toronto General Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Western Hospital and Toronto Rehabilitation Institute - makes a unique contribution to the whole.
Together, we create something far greater than the sum of our parts. This is an exciting opportunity to join UHN as a Compliance Specialist.
The Compliance Specialist will be responsible for assisting the Director of Compliance and the Senior Compliance Specialist with the operation of a new institution-wide relationship management (conflict of interest) and compliance program.
The Compliance Specialist will be responsible for coordinating the disbursement and collection of relationship disclosures, reviewing disclosures for completeness, checking reported information against internal and external databases, determining if potential conflicts of interest exist, drafting and monitoring management plans and guiding staff, physicians and researchers on conflict of interest matters that relate to consulting, intellectual property, research and appropriate use of hospital resources.
The Compliance Specialist will assist with developing, updating and maintaining a compliance and conflict of interest intranet site. In addition, the Compliance Specialist will triage matters requiring review and prepare case summaries and other meeting materials and reports for the Relationship Management Committee.
The Compliance Specialist will assist with the operation of the Compliance program including coordinating the disbursement and collection of regulatory registers, compiling information and preparing reports.
• Bachelor's degree in Law or Science or Masters degree or equivalent
• Skilled in analyzing information and objectives to define problems, identify relevant issues or concerns and formulate alternatives to affect resolution having evaluated all implications
• High level of proficiency in the use and maintenance of computer database systems and data analysis
• Superior interpersonal skills and ability to communicate appropriately and effectively with a wide variety of individuals at all levels in the organization
• Excellent analytical skills and good judgement
• Ability to work with confidential materials and to juggle multiple tasks and meet deadlines
• Eagerness to learn new areas and work with minimal supervision
• Knowledge of principles associated with Conflict of Interest and Ethics is an asset
• Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel
• 3-5 years of relevant work experience
• Experience in a health care setting preferred
• Experience with research processes in an academic setting preferred
POSTED DATE: December 20, 2018 CLOSING DATE: Posted Until Filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.