- Lawyer - In House Counsel
- Area of Practice
- Corporate/Commercial Law
- Job Type
- Temporary, Full time
- Minimum Level of Education
- Professional degree - LL.B
- Minimum Number of Years in Practice
- 4-10 years
Temporary Assignment: Up to 24 months
Legal Counsel will report to the Senior Counsel 1
The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) works at the heart of Ontario's power system. The IESO delivers key services across the electricity sector including: managing the power system in real-time, planning for the province's future energy needs, enabling conservation and designing a more efficient electricity marketplace to support sector evolution.
The IESO requires two new Counsel to support its legal team: one permanent and one temporary. The temporary position will be a two year contract. The successful applicants will have a minimum of four years post-call experience, gained in top tier law firms or fast paced in-house environments.
Positions will be either Counsel II or Senior Counsel, depending on successful applicant experience.
In-house counsel will provide legal services on a range of matters supporting IESO’s operations including:
- a variety of contract management, procurement, and program implementation matters
- IESO market operations including interpretation, administration, and development of Market Rules and related matters
- disputes that may arise under or in relation to programs, procurements, or contracts
- matters supporting the operations of the IESO, including procurements of goods and services, non-disclosure agreements, intellectual property, privacy (including Freedom of Information access requests), and records management, and
- legal research
Experience in electricity or energy law would be considered an asset.
Supports the operations of the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) by providing legal advice and guidance on a full range of legal matters including:
- Advising on multi-disciplinary legal projects, providing strategic legal advice on a range of complex legal, regulatory, policy and business issues
- Advising in relation to the development and implementation of programs and procurements administered by the IESO
- Advising on a variety of contract management matters
- Providing legal advice in support of market operations including interpretation, administration and development of Market Rules and related matters
- Advising on disputes that may arise under or in relation to programs, procurements, market rules or contracts
- Providing general legal advice to support the operations of the IESO including advising on procurements of goods and services, drafting and administration of non-disclosure agreements, advising on intellectual property, privacy (including Freedom of Information access requests) and records management
- Providing specific legal research, advice and opinions on issues not delegated to outside counsel. This includes both engaging and instructing outside counsel and personally carrying other files to completion.
- Ensuring legal advice is linked to the organization’s objectives; acts as an integral part of internal and external project teams.
- A member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
- A minimum of 4 years post call experience in corporate, commercial or transactional law gained either in a law firm or in-house law department setting
- Experience in any of the following specific areas is an asset:
- electricity or energy law
- infrastructure or construction law
- banking and finance law
- procurement law
- administrative law
- privacy law
- regulatory law
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent negotiation and drafting skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Proven excellent customer service skills
- A strong personal commitment to customer needs
- Organizational and time management skills
- A strong commitment to corporate objectives
- Ability to influence peers and others in the organization
- Strong problem-solving skills
What the IESO Offers:
- Competitive market wages
- Comprehensive benefit programs
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle
- A challenging fast-paced team environment
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry
While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. Be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.